• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MFJ-4712 Opinions

sanman

Sanman
Nov 7, 2009
Carmel, Putium County, New York
Has anyone used the MFJ-4712 remote antenna switch ? The reason y I ask is I would like to hook up a onmi vertical and horizontal dipole on one mast . This item would be great to save with coax cable , with one line entering the house.I haven't seen much reviews on the web.They say breaking the coax loses signal to the radio , but two lines of coax can get expense to the radio. What do u say about the MFJ-4712? Need opinions Thanks!!!!:confused:

Eham reviews are mixed. For the price, I'd probably give it a whirl, as long as your mast is not too big of a pain to drop down for repair/replacement of the MFJ unit.

RT307

MFJ's switch looks a lot like the Ameritron design, and I'd recommend the Ameritron. The RCS-4L is right at $200, and is "lightning protected". The RCS-4 is about $160, I think. I've used a homemade version of the RCS-8 for more than a dozen years now, with no problems at all.

Eham reviews are mixed. For the price, I'd probably give it a whirl, as long as your mast is not too big of a pain to drop down for repair/replacement of the MFJ unit.

RT307

What I was planning to do was assemble the unit at 25 below 30 FT . I was thinking to buy 50 feet of bury flex , split it and run 75 feet of belden 9913 solid, from the switch to the shack. I hope I wouldnt lose to much Db all together. Another problem arises to my attention is , would 15 feet of mast (1 1/4 tubing) plus SP-500 and a 1/2 wave dipole ( trik stik )horizontal , affect the movement of a TRA-4 rotor? and weight ?

MFJ's switch looks a lot like the Ameritron design, and I'd recommend the Ameritron. The RCS-4L is right at $200, and is "lightning protected". The RCS-4 is about $160, I think. I've used a homemade version of the RCS-8 for more than a dozen years now, with no problems at all.

I would love to buy the one u said but im limited with funds and do Ameritron or another company besides MFJ sells the two switch instead of four. I only need for two antennas? I tried to google for one and MFJ was the only one I saw. Hopefully latter down the line I would get one, when I apply for a Ham license. I have a Yaesu 767 that I luv , it has all the modules to expand my level of frequency's. Someday before I hit the pine box , being that said , im glad to share with this Forum , and your guys input! Thanks!(y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.