• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mic to Rig matchup Quiz

KC2SWR

Dec 2, 2008
Ok folks, need some advice on which mic to set up to each radio. Here are my mics: D104, Workman 502b, Turner Plus 2, Astatic 1104C

Radios: RCI 2990DX, RCI 2970, Tram D300, SBE Landcommand LCBS-8, Craig L232, Teaberry Stalker XX export, Pace 8193, Royce I 642, Stoner Pro 40, TRS Challenger 1400, GE Superbase, AR - 3500 (4pin, I believe wired for cobra), Midland 78-999, Robyn SB 540D, SBE Console VI, Dak X.

Please give feedback in terms of combinations that you have personally used, or good sounding pairs that you have heard over the air. Thanks!

Rule of thumb is anything with tubes takes a high impedance mic, anything solid state takes a low impedance.

After that it is up to the op to decide which mic sounds best for his voice.

Ok folks, need some advice on which mic to set up to each radio. Here are my mics: D104, Workman 502b, Turner Plus 2, Astatic 1104C

Radios: RCI 2990DX, RCI 2970, Tram D300, SBE Landcommand LCBS-8, Craig L232, Teaberry Stalker XX export, Pace 8193, Royce I 642, Stoner Pro 40, TRS Challenger 1400, GE Superbase, AR - 3500 (4pin, I believe wired for cobra), Midland 78-999, Robyn SB 540D, SBE Console VI, Dak X.

Please give feedback in terms of combinations that you have personally used, or good sounding pairs that you have heard over the air. Thanks!

How each microphone sounds on each rig is determined by who tuned the radio. I have used the D104, Workman 502b, Turner Plus 2, rk56, Electro-Voice 602t (built by me) and the Astatic Echomax 2000 on several radios. All the radios tuned at Fine Tune sounded great with all the above, although they sounded best with the RK56 and Echomax and Electro-voice. All the radios tuned by random shops around the country, results varied depending on who hacked the radio up. In general, properly tuned rigs sound clear with any decent mic regardless of impedance, while hacked rigs often need mics with an impedance mismatch to keep from overdriving the audio chip in the rig.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.