• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mic wiring - duh

Lazybones1222

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 6, 2005
Tampa Bay Florida

Pin 1 (Shield) & Pin 3 (Audio -) of XLR plug to Pin 3 (Ground) of Kenwood modular plug.
Pin 2 (Audio +) of XLR plug to Pin 6 (Mic) of Kenwood modular plug.

Pin 1 (Shield) & Pin 3 (Audio -) of XLR plug to Pin 3 (Ground) of Kenwood modular plug.
Pin 2 (Audio +) of XLR plug to Pin 6 (Mic) of Kenwood modular plug.

It's that simple huh? Thanks so much.

So to be sure, the 1 and 3 pins of the mic, go together to ground on the modular plug (pin 3).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/rg4wpw/3pinxlrdiagram.jpg

Then 2 of mic to 6 of plug. Right? (Did I mention I am not too bright?) lol

Sorry I didn't get back to this thread sooner...

Yep, it's that simple. By combining the shield and audio - you are converting the balanced audio signal of the XLR plug to an unbalanced audio signal that is compatible with the transceiver.

Connection-wise, that will work. Now depending on the characteristics of that particular microphone, it may or may not do what you want, or sound like you want on the air.

Connection-wise, that will work. Now depending on the characteristics of that particular microphone, it may or may not do what you want, or sound like you want on the air.

This is true, and every set up will require a little different 'tweaking' to get the desired results. The mic, preamp/di box, equalizer, etc. all play a role in achieving the sound you're after. Also, where the audio signal is injected into the tranceiver (mic input/accessory plug) plays a major role in the quality of the audio output. Some are completely happy with the results of just connecting a studio mic, others like to take it to the next level. ;)

Well this mic was (V-Tec model v-1040) a 600 ohm mic, and so was the stock mic. I use it vox only and it sounds fantastic. The radio has a audio transmit equalizer, so I tweaked it a bit with the help of a friend.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.