• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 75-822 - tuning?

The Jerk

May 6, 2008
Reading, PA
I bought a Midland 75-822 from a forum member a while back. Have been using it a lot as of late since I use a lot of rental cars now when I used to drive my pickup to job sites. I know it has been converted to 120 channels, but I'm not sure what if anything else was done.

The receive on this thing seems low/noisy. I am using a external magnetic antenna (a Hustler brand that I bought new several years back), and it seems to be happy on almost any car roof at an almost perfect 1:1 SWR. This is using the radio's included mobile adapter that provides the antenna connector and the cigarette lighter adapter.

My question is this: is this thing tunable like a typical CB? Can the receive and transmit be peaked/tuned/aligned? If so, who can do it (DTB won't even look at it)? I'm thinking of taking it to Bob's, maybe?

Nobody ever got back to you on this topic?
I've not read of an special tunability for the Midland 75-822, though I have seen the 120 channel mod.

The circuit for the Midland 75-822 is similar (though less complex) to the Albrecht AE2990 AFS, though the latter model includes an FM clarifier and SSB. Looking through the AFS's schematic, it seems possible to modify / optimize somewhat, though you're unlikely to drive much more out of the unit. The receiver is not amazingly sensitive on these models.

There is another thread that may be of some interest to you which calls out other similar radio models, and which may you help in finding batteries / accessories for your Midland, if needed:
https://www.worldwidedx.com/threads/ht-battery-cross-reference-list.121672/

Hopefully your radio is still performing as well as it once did (when this thread was newer).

KiethS

The Jerk
from Reading, PA
Profile Page Start a Conversation Follow Ignore
The Jerk was last seen:
2y 17w ago

Keith, this member has not logged into the forum in quite some time. I doubt he will see this message.
Thanks. Was just hoping he might have the topic flagged, and might visit on a whim, after email notification.

Truth be known, these radios really aren't much for DX, and despite the convertor, they're still more of a novelty than a tool.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.