• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Midland 79-290

Midland 79-290

Frequency Expansion

240 Channel Operation

1)Put away the Golden screwdriver! No tools needed for this mod.
2)When Turning on the radio hold in the DW and channel 9 buttons.
3)To get to the 10 meter band hold in the LCR and MIC buttons.
4)To change bans press the channel 19 button.
5)Repeat this process to return to regular 40 Channel CB.

NOPE that does not work for me ... i have v1.1 of the radio and something needs to be done in front panel... i can`t get any info about this :(

Maximus, Thats a real bummer the version that you have must be an earlier production run of those radio's. Look's like you may need the golden screwdriver after all or maybe get a tech that knows what he's doing with those radio's to add the channels.
Murray

OK - here goes for those that are confused about channel expansion for the 79-290 v1.1

(use a low wattage solder pencil w/ fine-point tip !!!)
STEP 1. Remove power from the unit.
STEP 2. Remove top & bottom covers ( RF pwr. adjustment).
STEP 3. Remove control head unit since this is where the channel modification is made.
STEP 4. remove 4 small screws from rear of control head, and remove back cover.
STEP 5. Refer to the photo below and make the two solder connections. The top of the PCB may already be installed.
STEP 6. Reassemble the control head. Using a jumper wire, short pins 1 and 6 as shown to reset the microprocessor.
STEP 7. Reasasemble and test for proper operation.
STEP 8. 240 CHANNEL OPERATION :

Press and hold "DW" and "9" then turn radio on.
Select bands by using the "9" button.
To set for 28Mhz to 29.7 Mhz press and hold "LCR" and "MIC" then turn radio on. To switch back to 40 channel mode repeat process. (NOTE: You may need to realign the radio for 10 meters)

For all other mods to the 79-290 refer to http://www.geocities.com/kb8qfl/79290.html

ctrlpanl.jpg

Hi All -
I know it's been a while since anything has been posted about this unit (Midland 79-290 v1.1). Just go mine peaked/tuned, clarifier mod, and the channel expansion. Everything works good except for the WX, LOC, and Preset buttons 1 & 3. Any ideas what might have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance....JJ

I often thought about getting another one myself I had a new one years ago played with it for a few weeks put it away then sold it like an idiot!! These are better and more sturdy than alot of the garbage sold today forsure. The detatchable face was also pretty slick as far as theft goes.

i thought i would never hear about these again, if i remember they had absolutely no cross channel rejection. if someone in your town talks on a different channel forget about hearing anyone on the channel your on.

Carl that Im not sure about I never had issues with bleedover from adjacent channels. Not saying that wasnt an issue with them Im just saying I never had that or any problems with the new one I had years ago. That is interesting so I am actually going to look into that before getting another one ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.