• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mini tri-magnet mounts on Amazon. Ever tried one?

loosecannon

Mar 9, 2006
I found these on amazon and to me it looks a little dinky:

Amazon product ASIN B07W5NPVG3
the magnets themselves are 3.5 inches a piece and the footprint is about a 9 inch triangle.

I feel like i would worry about using a 102' whip on something like this but IDK maybe they work just fine.

so does anyone have any experience with this size of tri-mag mount?

thanks!
LC

have no experience with it but from what I read I gathered this:

For the price and quality...I would steer away. The magnets are small, the connector would require an adapter to mount a 102" whip or any whip for that matter, and the RG58 cable is cheap and rated for 44w max and not the correct length.
I could see it holding a wilson 2000 or something like a 4-5ft wilson silver load. Doubt it will hold a 102" especially at speed. A 102" can hit tree branches with 5" magnets and not fall over. Not sure the 3.5" ones can do that.

I would go with this instead. Tram 269.. Quality, 5" magnets, RG58A/U 18ft cable and the correct 3/4"-24 thread and it handles 500w.
https://www.solidsignal.com/tram-26...MI9s2UmIOi_gIVlPrjBx2wUA8pEAQYBCABEgJIj_D_BwE

tram 3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: loosecannon
thanks for the reply Xracerx13.

i was planning on changing out the connector and coax for a good 3/8x24 mount and some 240uf style coax for the exact reasons you laid out.

i think i agree with you that an extra 20-30 dollars would be money well spent.

also, did you used to go by 'racerx' on this or another forum?
i feel like we might have corresponded in the distant past.

LC

I have the chrome version of the exact same base mount with three magnets. I have run 75mph down the freeway with a 7ft skipshooter antenna on it with no issues. Spring and all. Not saying they are as stout as I would like them to be, just saying they are stout enough for what I need.

Yes, both the Tram and it's clone the MFJ-336T have a very cheesy way of connecting both the center conductor and shield. The center conductor is merely smashed into place and the shield is swedged in. (you'll see what I mean when you look). Once the connections are upgraded (I always replace the 58U with LMR-240 while I'm at it) they are a solid mount with great magnet holding power.
I also ran a 7 ft. Skipshooter with no holding problems at highway speeds and with the coax upgrade, it handles a 2X8 easy.

thank you all for the replies.

i just want to state this here so we don't end up confusing anything.

the mount i am referring to that is being sold for about 40 dollars on amazon has a 9" triangular footprint and uses 3.5 inch magnets.

the tram 269 and the MFJ336T both use 5 inch magnets.

my question is specific to using the smaller mount with a 102" whip or other high profile antenna at highway speeds.

just to put it out there, i have found out that i will need a quad magnet to make it work on my vehicle due to the roof ribs.
im currently working on making my own.
LC

Reactions: walterjn

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.