• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Antennas

will85w4

Apr 12, 2010
Coachella Valley, So Cal
I am going to be receiving a Uniden President Grant XL 40ch AM/SSB radio here very shortly. It's going in my Honda Civic so I'm looking for an antenna that will not break the bank and still provide decent performance. I will not be running any amps, so wattage output is not a serious concern.

I have been looking at the Wilson Lil' Wil antenna and the Wilson 1000.

Reading reviews on the Lil' Wil, most people seem to be satisfied with them. Doesn't sound like a skip shootin' antenna, but that's perfectly ok with me. That's why I have the base station.

Any suggestions? I am on a limited budget (< $75-$100) as well.

If you can't do a Wilson 5000 do the 1000 ... stay away from a Lil Wil...it's a waste of money IMHO..
I'm sure there will be other educated/biased/selfcentered opinions.

Depending on how tall your Civic is (I have an Integra) you might opt for a 66" whip from Wilson instead. It brought my SWR down quite a bit...1.1-1.3 instead of 1.5-1.8.

Good investment of $10.

you can get a predator 12 inch shaft single coil 10k , a firestick DM-4 stud mount and a 12-18 ft piece of 8x coax with good properly assembled 259's for about $100 . the wilson 5000 will be a little easier to install (unless youre gonna use a mag mount then its a LOT easier) and draw less attention .

whats your priorities for antenna apperance and ease of install ? and where are you gonna mount the antenna on the civic ? the middle of the roof is gonna be the best location .

stay away from the little wil.
they just flat out suck as an antenna.
i have personal experience with the little wil, the wilson 1000 and the wilson 5000.

the difference in receive and transmit distance between the lil will and the wilson 1000 is quite noticeable.

the difference between the 1000 and the 5000 is really about transmitter power handling and they both receive about the same as far as i can tell.

get the wilson 1000 with the magnet mount and you will be very happy.

yes, the roof mount is the absolute best way to go, and is a bit cheaper, but you will have to drill a 3/4" hole in the roof of your car, and route the cable through the headliner, down the side moulding and to the radio.

i am always unscrewing my wilson 5000 from its mount and putting it in the car when i park my car somewhere for a long period of time.
(also when i screw my 102" whip on to my wilson mount)

i bring this up because, if you are going to be putting the antenna in the car very often, the mag mount will make this much easier.

LC

antenna

Best lightweight through roof mount might be Wilson 5000 roofmount. Best for ballmount would be a stainless 102" whip or the Francis Amazer. If it was me, I would buy one of Jerry Cash's hockey puck mounts and mount it on the trunk, then I could support the weight of one of my custom built antennas for the coolness factor.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.