• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

mobile beam ???

That's not really a mobile beam installation as you do not use it when mobile. The pneumatic mast is a neat idea but can only be used when stopped and parked somewhere. A GOOD mast is $$$$ but rather effective in getting an antenna to a decent height. It does seem like a lot of money and effort to just use a two element however you have to be the one to decide if you think it is worth it. Pneumatic masts are great when setting up for a few days but I wouldn't want to be setting one up every time I stopped somewhere. You need to assemble and install the antenna each time.

This is to be used when i m down for my restart which usually is 2 days to begin with ..i m also looking at some military ones but need to know if 30 ft is enough height for a beam..

There was a dude in Columbus, Ohio whom installed a homebrewed telescopic mast along the top side of his box trailer. It had a counter weight at the bottom end of the mast and just pivoted down towards the ground. Once vertical, he used a boat trailer style ratchet cable that raised the internal sections. You barely noticed it installed along the top. I was around 19 years old when I last seen it, but it was pretty darned tall. I can't recall what kind of antenna he used. I believe it was all amateur stuff though.

I remember it being very well built. Of course, it was a stationary use system which probably only took a few minutes to erect.

Only useful if you never swap out trailers, lol.

The dimensions of even a coil loaded beam would not find a happy spot on a tractor or a passenger vehicle. It isn't really practical; kinda silly - really - IMO. Besides, most truckers aren't on a radio for talking skip, it is is for talking to other truckers keeping up with friendships and the business. Although I use my mobile when driving cross country, I have listened and talked to many, many truckers for more than tens of thousands of miles. Seems that the truckers that do talk skip, just do it to pass the time.

It would definitely be a lot of work. We used the pneumatic masts for placing up portable cell towers in areas that had outages and events as well. It's a lot of work to put one up. Gotta house the coax, antenna, and the masts weren't small either. A 30-40ft mast even down all the way takes up a bit of room, and like I said, you have quite a bit of setup time involved to use one. Cool idea but I would think a portable made mast design that can be put together in sections and placed on a tripod might be easier to use and be faster setting up. They make some pretty nice 30ft ones I have seen on eBay. If you have the time, this might be the best way to go without breaking the bank either. JMO.

I tried a Superantennas 3 element portable beam on my RV while parked. It was a fun experiment but I ended up giving up on the idea and just using other antennas. A portable push up mast attached to a flag pole mount with a Buddipole is my current setup when I can't use a wire antenna. That works surprisingly well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.