• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Ham operations banned?

They think it is unsafe to take one hand off the wheel to use a 2-way radio, yet it is fine........if not encouraged, to buy a Tesla where you can take BOTH hands off the wheel, have a nap, and it will drive itself to your destination. Damn......I hate being born with common sense and a high degree of practicality. I feel so lonely at times.

Do you live in Pennsylvania?
Might want to watch this........

Jeff

Sadly if this is passed and enforced,it's going to hurt ham radio and CB radio in a mobile standpoint that it won't make sense to have a mobile setup in your car,I have to wonder how or if it could be enforced, I would hope the arrl would put there 2 cents in and get the courts involved in some way,etc, just my thoughts,SMH on this.........

73's

Broson No.gif

Reactions: Rwb and codeman
What bothers me is they make exemptions.
I really don't care what your job is, we are all Human beings. If operating a radio with a microphone is going to distract me while I'm driving, a police officer will be just as distracted. If they want to try and way "he has been trained to use his radio", I've been driving for almost 40 years and in that time I've had a mic in my had for about 35 of them... no accidents from radio use.
These laws are ridiculous and should be classified as unconstitutional as they do NOTHING but generate money for the governmental agencies through fines.

Well with the new pushed forward legislation, cars computers and cameras and internal microphones from ostensibly safety and convenience tech packages that spy on you and report back to data centers that recycle your information to insurance companies etc (govt too if course if said entities desire it) mandated kill switch software built into all vehicles ICE and Electric starting in 2025 model years... no it may not be activated or utilized immediately but the code is there by law like a time bomb... you say how will they get you? Easily, if you own a newer vehicle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 999 and Rwb
President makes a hands free mic, 6 pin. Never tried it though.
It works okay. Depending on the distance between you and your steering wheel, but someone looking at you in your car couldn't tell you were talking on a radio vs. singing along with a song on the FM radio. I doubt they did a deep dive into how many accidents were caused by drivers talking on a radio, because I think that would be a very low number vs. texting, or reading text on the phone. And, quite a few ham 2-way radios have a VOX feature, despite what is said in the video.

Reactions: Rwb
If someone drove around with a microphone in their hand, but had no radio in the vehicle to connect it to, would they still get a ticket? I can see someone starting a YouTube channel with this......
Yes.Troll the police into pulling over then whoopsie, no radio. Could definitely see that happening. Then watch the police tear his vehicle apart on the side of the road looking for said radio..... whoopsie both ways lol

mo passed a liberal bill NO CELLPHONE IN HAND PERIOD . i got 8 pictures of dot and hiway patrol using phones while driving. most have unit numbers too.
just like this bridge south of my house 38 ton load limit.i got many pictures and a video of the dot and hiway patrol excorting the wind tower sections across that bridge and are in excess of 100 ton. done told dot who stopped me crossing that bridge in my truck i had proof they violated their own laws. he said b.s. i opened my samsung camera and in a folder out popped pictures of what i said. his face turned red n walked off.got in his pickup never said a word red faced. i never quit crossing that bridge . when they limited it said structeral weakness. my 40 ton must create more stress than 100 plus tons. ps the whole load was on the bridge as its 150 ft long

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.