• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

MOBILE INSTALL: 579 Peterbilt

Most people usually talk about "How -to"

You're story, (can't call this a thread - more like blog) is more like "What I had to go - Through"

A good thread (Blog?), has many pointers and documentation for a lot of help to those whom are still on the Fence about making the effort to move forward in performance.

You're story, (can't call this a thread - more like blog) is more like "What I had to go - Through"

A good thread (Blog?), has many pointers and documentation for a lot of help to those whom are still on the Fence about making the effort to move forward in performance.
Slowmover's "blog" is almost like a k0bg bible for big truck installs! He gives us pointers on what to do and how to do it if you want the best performance out of your mobile radio system. I do think some manufacturer sponsorship is in order, if he chose to pursue it! DX Engineering, Palomar, West Mountain Radio,Zip-tie manufacturers, wire looms, etc. LOL!
I'm looking forward to the next chapter if you get a Volvo!

JD

I'm curious Mr Slo.......why the mix 61 ferrites?
I'm about to order the Palomar Engineers CMNF-500 as I do have some common mode crap coming from the inverter.

JD

I used M-31 and also M-61. The latter seemed to do a better job (not measured; “seemed like”). I got me a bucket of each type; all configurations.

Cheap to try both

Reactions: jdchet

The take-away (for anyone more knowledgeable) is the efforts paid off. Take two two otherwise identical tractor put them side-by-side on a day with busy on-air traffic and this will be obvious as can be if one is “upgraded”.

1): Minimum stated radio spec
2). DSP filter
3). Clean Power + & —
4). Antenna grounds serviced
5). Noise abatement applied
6). Taller, better antennas
7). KL-203

In highway travel it’s a constant someone nearby wants to know whom I’m speaking with as they cannot hear that other operator. This includes BIG RADIOS.

I’m in the habit of repeating the problem Mile Marker as that’s a key phrase that wakes up others around me. I’m not the ONLY one who has the ears, but damned close to it.

In a better tractor, I AM the only one when the distances are significant.

Otherwise, yeah, blog fits as this became a sanity-saver for me.

Last edited:
Slowmover's "blog" is almost like a k0bg bible for big truck installs! He gives us pointers on what to do and how to do it if you want the best performance out of your mobile radio system. I do think some manufacturer sponsorship is in order, if he chose to pursue it! DX Engineering, Palomar, West Mountain Radio,Zip-tie manufacturers, wire looms, etc. LOL!
I'm looking forward to the next chapter if you get a Volvo!

JD

Thanks. I’d have to be technically competent on a level I’m simply not. Would need to be able to explain the How and the Why. (No antenna analyzer, yet; to show readings and try to take suggestions to go to next level).

Did my best with the What and the How.

Let’s just say I’ve whupped ARRL and other radio organizations in trying to improve the terrible performance of big trucks as they’ve done NOTHING. What does that say about them?

If the counter is that this isn’t their bailiwick and interferes with manufacturers, blah-blah, then what good are they?

Three million truck drivers in this country: EVERYTHING you own traveled part way by truck. CB has been used for DECADES by this group.

Some shit is too obvious for words.

Rant off; if another 579 driver wants “better” I hope my efforts are an aid to him.

Allen Applegate (k0bg) is why you see this thread and maybe why you see my participation on this forum. To that gentleman goes the thanks. Hooking up a radio is one thing. Trying to get the best from that vehicle is quite another.

Step One is that mans Mobile Installation Guide. www.k0bg.com

Step Two is in your perceiving my limitations in how that applies to big trucks. My attempts to make them better.

Make no mistake that all-around it’s a $1,000 investment. Use takes time to develop the skill to start making the radio rig pay for itself. If I can maintain a higher Average MPH, then the possibility exists that over a 2-3/week period I may very well pick up a load I otherwise couldn’t.

I believe I’m getting the price of the Greater Radio System back 2-3X annually.

.This demands map reading skills and a fairly high executive functioning ability to make gambling effective (leaving Interstate to divert around a problem). Sometimes, it doesn’t work.

The aspect of safety is that it is not a good idea to be trapped in a crowd with no exit. That’s the GP understanding and spur to get the experience.

The Zero BS reason is to have instantaneous warning of a road danger. Citizens Band has no peer at this.

One serious malfunction by the driver (thanks, Sarge: “What’s your malfunction, Private Pyle?!”) is enough to end everything.

That’s what drove this series of projects. Knowing I owe it to family and strangers (to God) to not give up. There may be a day it matters.

Having fun on the radio is nice . . .
by itself it isn’t enough. Doesn’t pay the grocery bill or save a busload of nuns stalled around the bend. Is not the right application of mans reason.

Last edited:
Thanks. I’d have to be technically competent on a level I’m simply not. Would need to be able to explain the How and the Why. (No antenna analyzer, yet; to show readings and try to take suggestions to go to next level).

Did my best with the What and the How.

Let’s just say I’ve whupped ARRL and other radio organizations in trying to improve the terrible performance of big trucks as they’ve done NOTHING. What does that say about them?

If the counter is that this isn’t their bailiwick and interferes with manufacturers, blah-blah, then what good are they?

Three million truck drivers in this country: EVERYTHING you own traveled part way by truck. CB has been used for DECADES by this group.

Some shit is too obvious for words.

Rant off; if another 579 driver wants “better” I hope my efforts are an aid to him.

Allen Applegate (k0bg) is why you see this thread and maybe why you see my participation on this forum. To that gentleman goes the thanks. Hooking up a radio is one thing. Trying to get the best from that vehicle is quite another.

Step One is that mans Mobile Installation Guide.

Step Two is perceiving my limitations in how that applies to big trucks. My attempts to make them better.

Make no mistake that all-around it’s a $1,000 investment. Use takes time to develop the skill to start making the radio rig pay for itself. If I can maintain a higher Average MPH, then the possibility exists that over a 2-3/week period I may very well pick up a load I otherwise couldn’t.

I believe I’m getting the price of the Greater Radio System back 2-3X annually.

.This demands map reading skills and a fairly high executive functioning ability to make gambling effective (leaving Interstate to divert around a problem). Sometimes, it doesn’t work.

The aspect of safety is that it is not a good idea to be trapped in a crowd with no exit. That’s the GP understanding and spur to get the experience.

The Zero BS reason is to have instantaneous warning of a road danger.
Citizens Band has no peer at this.

One serious malfunction by the driver (thanks, Sarge) is enough to end everything.

That’s what drove this series of projects. Knowing I owe it to family and strangers (to God) to not give up. There may be a day it matters.

I am extremely confident that when you decide to pull the trigger on an analyzer you will very happy you finally did! I have found they are incredible time savers when helping someone else with their antenna and make it easy to see where you're at when starting the install. That has been my experience with the RigExpert AA35.

JD

Reactions: Slowmover
I used M-31 and also M-61. The latter seemed to do a better job (not measured; “seemed like”). I got me a bucket of each type; all configurations.

Cheap to try both
Interesting that mix 61 ferrites works well for you.

Mix 31 is commonly used for Ham installs because it covers a wide spectrum between 1 mHz up to 300 mHz.

Mix 43 could be used for just the CB range because it starts at 25 mHz.

Mix 61 is commonly used at 200 mHz and beyond for EMI suppression.

Interesting that mix 61 ferrites works well for you.

Mix 31 is commonly used for Ham installs because it covers a wide spectrum between 1 mHz up to 300 mHz.

Mix 43 could be used for just the CB range because it starts at 25 mHz.

Mix 61 is commonly used at 200 mHz and beyond for EMI suppression.

These trucks known for noisy interiors? I sometimes doubled up (where weight strain wasn’t a problem or could be dealt with) using one of each. Four (4) per line.

But you give me the either/or choice for most of those lines treated at each end, and I’ll take M-61.

These trucks known for noisy interiors? I sometimes doubled up (where weight strain wasn’t a problem or could be dealt with) using one of each. Four (4) per line.

But you give me the either/or choice for most of those lines treated at each end, and I’ll take M-61.

Yeah, go with what works best!

Reactions: Slowmover
I am extremely confident that when you decide to pull the trigger on an analyzer you will very happy you finally did! I have found they are incredible time savers when helping someone else with their antenna and make it easy to see where you're at when starting the install. That has been my experience with the RigExpert AA35.

JD

On my list. PEP Meter got priority. $225 for an AA-35 looks good to me.

Robert, at CLAYS RADIO SHOP. Onto a T880 when I was a tanker-yanker.

ProComm Quad Wrap
4.5’ tall top-load

I don’t think I’ve ever seen them at retail otherwise.

View attachment 35623

Shaved & Shined Corona Balls from the Antenna Farm.

Hey Slo, what is your opinion on the PC Quad ? I was talking to a local shop hoping to get a Skipshooter, he said he quit carrying them after they bagan being MIC, said they're very fragile. He suggested the PC Quad and has them in stock. Might try one out, but still pretty happy with the Sirio Fighter......

Reactions: Rebel Outlaw

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.