• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Microphones

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I tried to put a poll out there on this, but using a phone, it won't let me do it. I think it would be interesting to get everyone's opinions on mobile mics. Astatic d104m6, road devil, RF limited ceramic 577 or telex 56?

I'm sure this has been discussed before. I've seen a lot of new members getting started and I'm sure a lot of guests visiting the forum would find a more recent discussion on the subject very helpful.

been using road devil mics for years after trying 575's, m6b's, along with various other power mics - cobra, radshack, magnum, roadking.

the only thing I don't like about them are the arguments with people that won't believe I'm mobile.
and the bright red case.

Reactions: 1 person
astatic 636 is my main mobile mic.

always been happy with it.

older RK56's are good to, but the switches seems to go bad. (just my experience here)

D104M6B is a good mic, better when modded for a tone control, but not really needed these days.

IMO no one needs a power mic unless their radio is undermodulated or an old junker, or completely stock, and then only sometimes.

most times they just overload the first mic amp in the radio causing you to have to turn the gain down to compensate.
LC

IMO no one needs a power mic unless their radio is undermodulated or an old junker, or completely stock, and then only sometimes.

most times they just overload the first mic amp in the radio causing you to have to turn the gain down to compensate.
LC

I disagree with this only to the point that most stock mics are not the best in frequency response. A good quality mic will improve the audio response when used properly. Herein lies the problem that most don't set the radio/mic combo properly and over drive the rig. With the limiter clipping that is done it gives power mics a bad rap.

I like the Road king and use it in the shack keeps the back round noise down.if you have talk back on your radio you will be able to test this style mic out better.you have to talk into the mic and have your lip on the guard or your audio will drop off. D104M6B is also nice.you can also talk from a foot away. If you set it up loud you will pick up background noise.keep your windows up and fan on low.

A properly tuned radio should never need a power microphone. Noise cancelling mics cut the audio way too much.
Find a good stock mic....they are out there on Ebay.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.