• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mobile Microphones

I really like my Ranger SRA-198. I'm either going to turn up VR16 on my 959 to match the 198 up to it,install my turbo x2 as a mic preamp for the 198,or get a Shure SM48 to go with my Art Tube preamp and run that

I dont like the sound of lip-smacking with NC mics, why do ppl eat em so much (must be the lip guard, lol) M6B has always been the best, clearest and loudest but when turned up they can pick up air. Ive tried Road Devils, tends to squeal to easy, stupid slider on the side. Plus the red is too flamboyant for me, belongs in a Poison video.

I have to eat the Ranger SRA-198. That's how much it attenuates the audio. The Astatic 636L doesn't attenuated the audio as much. I can talk on my Road Devil with it laying in the desktop and talk.

Power mics are meant to be held about a fist width away from your mouth, spoken across not directly into. Keep the gain adjustment low and use the mic gain on the radio to adjust the audio. When talking further away from them you induce background noise and loose all the effectiveness of the mic.

They are NOT meant to be dialled all the way up and screamed into.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tX9J6Vre3j8

Power mics are meant to be held about a fist width away from your mouth, spoken across not directly into. Keep the gain adjustment low and use the mic gain on the radio to adjust the audio. When talking further away from them you induce background noise and loose all the effectiveness of the mic.

They are NOT meant to be dialled all the way up and screamed into.

That's right. :D

Depends on the radio...what mic sounds good on one radio might sound horrible on anther.

I swap between a RK56 and Astatic 636L depending on the radio I am running.

I have also owned a Skythumper, and the factory-provided Ranger SRA-198 on my General HP40W sounds better than the RK56 or the Astatic (for that radio).

Reactions: 1 person
Depends on the radio...what mic sounds good on one radio might sound horrible on anther.

I swap between a RK56 and Astatic 636L depending on the radio I am running.

I have also owned a Skythumper, and the factory-provided Ranger SRA-198 on my General HP40W sounds better than the RK56 or the Astatic (for that radio).

I couldn't agree more!

RT307

Ive tried Road Devils, tends to squeal to easy, stupid slider on the side. Plus the red is too flamboyant for me, belongs in a Poison video.

interesting. I've had my red road devil on a dozen radios and as many antennas and never gotten a squeak. the black has been on 2 radios with no problems. I did have a m6b that would give electric shocks from the grill.
I agree on the red, especially in the car.

My GE 3-5813A&B radios can't take a Road Devil because these radios have a mic preamp built in. They'll squeal with much more than 1/8 the way up from zero on the RD. On the other hand,my RD's make a world of difference on my CRE-8900& Galaxy DX-959.

Of all the mics I've tried over the years, I keep coming back to the Astatic 575, the D104-M6 with Bob85's mod, or the 2018 Extreme with the noise crap turned OFF. For a N/C mic, it's either a SkyThumper or the SRA-198. Just my $.02.

I disagree with this only to the point that most stock mics are not the best in frequency response. A good quality mic will improve the audio response when used properly. Herein lies the problem that most don't set the radio/mic combo properly and over drive the rig. With the limiter clipping that is done it gives power mics a bad rap.

im not quite sure what you mean by this.

are you saying that the mic elements used in power mics are generally better than the elements used in stock mics?

the reason i ask is that there is no audio shaping or limiting going on inside a stock mic other than the inherent freq response of the element itself.

im not asking because i have an answer ready and waiting, i just havent had the same experiences you have when using stock mics.

that being said, ive never really delved too deeply into the subject either.
LC

im not quite sure what you mean by this.

are you saying that the mic elements used in power mics are generally better than the elements used in stock mics?

the reason i ask is that there is no audio shaping or limiting going on inside a stock mic other than the inherent freq response of the element itself.

im not asking because i have an answer ready and waiting, i just havent had the same experiences you have when using stock mics.

that being said, ive never really delved too deeply into the subject either.
LC
I have found that most "stock" microphones have a boxy muffled sound to them. There are clearly exceptions to this rule, case in point the Icom 706 uses the HM-103 stock mic. The element in there is designed by Bob Heil and other mics on that radio don't sound as good. Most Icom HF rigs use a "power" mic as the amp is build into the radio. I have found through the years that a properly adjusted "power" mic will sound better than the supplied stock from the mfg.

I don't listen to 11 meters and I don't get on 10 all too much so I don't hear a lot of Export radios so I really can't say if the mics on those are all that good or not.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio