• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

modifying a homebrew antenna to something similar to a wolf .50

B

BOOTY MONSTER

radials

My experience is that a 1/2 wave benefits greatly from radials. If you have them or can make them, 3 or 4 radials will help. I made a set of radials for my Antron 99 and it made a world of difference. With the radials and Altelicon cable I consider my reception very good. The top is at 60' and I ran a ground to the base of the antenna. It was fun working with it , however, starting off with a true 5/8 wave antenna would have taken the work out of it. Unless I get a good deal on a true 5/8 antenna, I will stay with well enough.
I haven't worked with a 5/8 wave and radials. What I read is that you will not notice having them as much due to the increased gain over the 1/2 wave comes from the 5/8 wave's lower take off angle. I also read where the radials on the half wave lowers the take off angle. I know it helped mine. The theory I have to leave up to the experts.

All vertical antennas have something in common. They all have two sides. One of those sides is the typical vertical, end fed element, the other side is whatever it uses for a 'ground'/counterpoise/radials. That other part can also be the feed line being used as the other half of the antenna (or just plain dirt). If there are no radials/counterpoise, then the feed line is usually being used as part of the antenna.
So, don't wanna have radials or a counterpoise? Hope your feed line is long enough to supply that other half of the antenna, or the pole, tower, mast, dirt, or vehicle body the thing is 'grounded' to. Use the radials, it just simplifies things. What's the biggest difference between using and not using them? That can vary quite a bit! Very basically, using them means a more symmetrical type radiation pattern, not as lop sided due to how the feed line/pole/whatever distorts things. Not the best way of saying it, but it's close enough...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.
  • @ Tim Chambers:
    Pres. Bill 2 FCC mod just posted