• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Mods for the Cobra 200GTL

This is one of the best sounding radios I have ever owned out of the 350 or so radios I have owned in the past 15 years.

I am a SMD tech and love to work on this radio for myself and the mods gave great results and I am still in the process with trying more.

My Bad!!!!

I incorrectly gave the echo resistor number as R39. It is NOT R39, it is R550, with a stock value of 39K ohms. If you DID change R39, make sure you change it back to its stock value of 100K. R39 is in the receiver AGC circuit, NOT the echo circuit. Sorry for any confusion, or receiver degradation, that you may have endured.

DTB,

Replaced the 470k I used for a couple weeks at R181 with a 1Meg and the background picked up a little and they tell me I am even louder. Nice thing is no splatter!

BTW, I havent touched any of the tuning pots yet. I am getting about 120watts on AM on a swing from 40 dk. What is this radio do when you align those pots roughly? It already performs so good I might not take it further.

DTB,

Before I try it, how much more pep power do you really gain by turning that brown slug? (right now the radio modulates to 120watt pep on AM). Let me know before I take the wax out.

Thanks

DTB,

I went up and down a couple turns on L21 pot and did not notice a increase in power. It still stays around the 120watt mark. Did you have turn the pot down more turns? I dont want to bottom it out and be screwed. Also, let me know if you turned T718-T723 with any success in conjuction with L21.

960 cobra specs are 32 high power am dk. mine is set at 30 and after i tuned it i'm seeing a swing of 140-150 on am 175-200 ssb. which finals does your 200 have?

That tuning coil (brown one) needs to be adjusted slowly while modulating for best PEP. I see probably anywhere from 5 to 20 watts increase. If you only see 120 peak, then you either don't have an accurate enough measuring ssytem, or your power supply is not doing its job well.

Astron RS-35M power supply set at 14 volts and a set of CPI WM1000 watt meters (the white ones that match the CPI 2000 radio).

The meter works fine, all the base amps I use in the 200w range setting of the meter are accurate (on both pep and rms). Infact, this meter is as close to a bird that I have seen over all the typical dosy/paradynamics meters.

I tuned the slug down a little bit and the power really dropped so I didnt go down any further, maybe I should go down even further with the slug and it will rise back up and up?? (How far up or down is the slug in L21 DTB or anyone else who has tuned there own radio???) I went as high as I could be it dropped down as well.

I didnt try tuning any of the smaller T pots, maybe one of those needs a small turn and it will pop more wattage out??? (I seen this on a couple galaxy radios ).

I get 40w dk swing 120w on high
and 100 watts max on ssb. It seems to "govern" or hold back when I whistle on all the modes.

DTB,
What is the RMS swing on High power (example: 40w dk swinging 45w or 50w or such) I do not see much and any needle movement at all on the RMS side, but on low power it dead keys at 4 watts and swings to about 10 which seems too low since it shows about 60-70 watts swing on low power...

I got another 200gtl the other day and same results. But If I use a Galaxy 95t....it swings close up to about 180w or so, so I i know the meter is fine and the battery is brand new.

I dont even bother with average output readings. If you want to see higher average power, back off your modulation level with the AMC pot, and watch the average rise a bit. As for RMS, that doesn't even apply to rf power readings other than as a (possibly interesting to someone somewhere) math study.

As for that coil, assuming you are using a pure 50-ohm resistive and non-reactive dummy load (NO wire-wound resistors!!), then you need to inject a steady tone of around 600 or 700 mhz, maybe 1khz, to have a solid modulated signal before you can tune that slug. There WILL be a single point where it has max output within the band you wish to tune for, and that point will be somewhere in the general middle of its tuning range. I think the tops of the slugs most of the ones I tune end up being a couple millimeters down from the top edge of the coil shell, give or take a bit.

As for the power meters you mentioned, I am not familiar with them, so I can't comment on accuracy. However, if you DO have a supply that delivers 14 STEADY volts to the radio, and you STILL only see 120 watts, there has got to be a measurement accuracy issue someplace, or a problem with the radio(s). At 14.1 volts I see a MINIMUM of 150PEP after tuning, and I can't remember the last time I saw one lower than about 170-175. Most tune out to 180-190 on my Bird 4314B meter, AND on my Wavenode system. This level is also confirmed from the Bird carrier reading and o'scope calculations.

Try this: Place a fast-responding volt meter at the power cord inout to the radio, and watch the supply voltage as you're transmitting. See if its actually keeping the voltage at the radio at 14. If not, run larger cable to the radio from the supply. You may end up needing to rig a remote voltage sensing circuit for tha power supply to make sure it keeps the actual radio voltage at the 14 volts for which you set the supply.

DTB,

Ok I think I know what is going on. As I go up higher in the channels (like ch 80 for example) It swings about 150w, If I go to 28.000mhz it swings to 170w on my dummy load.

I think now its time to figure out the T pots T719-T723 to align the power band down to the CB channels.

What do you think??

adjusting L21 on the frequency you want as your primary will tune in the power. best thing to do is either choose the frequency you want as your pirmary or center if you use more than one. then on this freq. dk am high power adjust t18-t23 for highest dk then adjust L21 for highest out put. now that freq. is tuned check dk and adjust whereever you want it high and lowusing rv9 and rv8. these are 10 meter from factory so they are adjusted to that band.

Reactions: Robalo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.