• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modulation meter low bars on radio

Most likely your AMC needs some adjustment - also adding a power microphone may make a difference....however - be very very careful with adjusting the AMC on the N2 or N4 radios - boosting your AMC will boost your swing and output and those radios are very touchy with heat and although most of the failure issues have been resolved you don't want to be maxing anything out.

Don't mess with the ALC or any other power adjustments unless you have a PHD in electrical engineering :) Slight adjustment of the AMC should be fine but only adjust until the bars are tickling the top - if you have an external watt meter or modulation meter you can tell better what is going on as well when adjusting.

I really dont intend to do any adjustments to power levels. As it stands, my mouth is touching the mic and yelling else in normal tone it would barely move much. 3 bars perhaps.

In SSB mode, not that it matters, the meter "looks" ok when I speak into the mic. Meaning it jumps high the louder I talk.

From Ranger USA website:

• 5. TX AM Modulation:
    Set radio to 28.495 MHz, AM mode, mic gain control to maximum, key the transmitter. Inject 30 milivolts of 1 KHz audio into the audio input pin of the mic jack (pin 2).
    Adjust VR17 to 100% modulation.
And this: LOL Although we are not clipping anything via sound advise given on this forum.

Warranty Notes

We have noticed an increase in radios sent in for warranty repair that have problems directly related to the modulation limiter being clipped or removed. Radios sent back with this modification will not be covered by warranty. When you clip parts out of a well-designed radio, you can cause harmonics, which result in distortion. If you clip a part, then you have defeated the purpose for which that part was intended. This may cause related parts to go bad; thus causing the radio to perform in a way that it was not designed.

We made this decision after a hard analysis of radios returned for warranty and/or repair during a two month period. We even went so far as to fly both the top technician and engineer from the factory to assist us in solving the problems. The result of the analysis, and confirmed by the factory personnel, were startling to us - 87% of the returned radios were caused by the below modifications. This reflects a problem that is not with the radio or it's manufacturing process. It can also cause you problems with your customer, as when something goes wrong, they tend to blame you, your mother, father, your kids, and every one at Ranger - both here and in China! All because of something someone else did.

Here is the list of controls &/or components we found that are commonly de-tuned &/or removed by customers:
RCI-6300 Series: VR14 (AM Carrier), VR16 (AM Modulation), and Q39 (TX Audio Limiter).
RCI-6900 Series: VR15 (AM Carrier), VR17 (AM Modulation), and Q43 (TX Audio Limiter).
RCI-2950/70/90 Series: VR13 (AM Carrier), VR14 (AM Modulation), and Q32 (TX Audio Limiter).
RCI-2950/70/90 DX Series: VR15 (AM Carrier), VR17 (AM Modulation), and Q43 (TX Audio Limiter).

If the above components are removed or max-tuned, the warranty will be voided, as it is a bad practice and by doing these modifications can cause problems of spurious emissions and overheating.

So, let's start an education process. Tell your customers that over modulation causes the user and the radio to sound like crap. It overworks the components of the electronic device and causes the parts to have premature wear and failure. Inform them that in accordance with good technical practice, you will not be a part of that kind of "butchering". You may hear some flack from them at first, but if you explain it to them correctly, they should understand. Plus you can show them the difference in the output signal of a clean sounding radio transmission verses an over-modulated and distorted signal.

Then explain that if they clip a part out of a radio, they have defeated the purpose for which that part was intended. This may cause some other or related parts to go bad; thus causing the radio to perform in a way that it was not designed. An example is the overheating problem caused by removing the TX audio limiter. It causes the power transistors to overheat and shut down or just burn out.

I think, together, we can help clean up the signals and cut way down on the problems that you encounter with these operators. If we can eliminate this one area of problems for you, we can free up the Ranger technicians to solving and repairing real problems.

And, if you are going to "verify" the "alignment and tuning" of a Ranger radio before selling it to a customer, let me remind you to please check all the features and functions of the radio BEFORE opening and breaking the seals. This way, if something is wrong, it can be taken care of in the fastest way possible. It doesn't take that long to check and it may save you some headaches. It also removes any doubt of whether the radio was at fault or something someone else did that caused the failure. Our actual failure rate of the radios is one of the lowest in the industry, so just take the time to check it out first.

Last edited:
At bare minimum you'll need a pep reading watt meter to see where you are. I wouldn't put too much faith in the bars on the radio. Talk to some people, get some reports and go from there. Pay attention to the heatsink temp while using am until you know it isn't going to overheat.

At bare minimum you'll need a pep reading watt meter to see where you are. I wouldn't put too much faith in the bars on the radio. Talk to some people, get some reports and go from there. Pay attention to the heatsink temp while using am until you know it isn't going to overheat.

For shnits and giggles I was checking the current draw on the radio, ranged from 4-52Amps using clamp meter, also my new PSU shows the current draw also.

IMG_20170620_005530.jpg IMG_20170620_004524.jpg IMG_20170620_004534.jpg IMG_20170620_005958.jpg IMG_20170620_005958.jpg IMG_20170620_010005.jpg IMG_20170620_0048582.jpg I was just looking at some of the pics I took of the board when cover was off when I was fitting the e chip to expand the bands to 11m. I see VR17
IMG_20170620_004920.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170620_005429.jpg
    IMG_20170620_005429.jpg
    153.7 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
After reading this thread it just confirms what I have always maintained. If you want to save a buck and sound average at best you price shop for a radio and convert it yourself. If you want a great sounding radio that is properly tuned and aligned you buy from a shop that does quality tech work. Your new radio will be opened, tuned,converted, and shipped one time and your done. Time to enjoy your radio.

On radio's I purchase used the extent of what I will do to a radio is limited. Bump the modulation, adjust SSB power, adjust am carrier, and wire a mic. I do know the "meter" on RCI radio's is pretty much ballpark at best. You will have to decide if you are comfortable making small adjustments to your RCI radio or not. If not your only options are leave it as is or send it out to a good tech for a check-up.

Just saw your pics. Heck give VR17 a little bump and see what happens. Keep an eye on your watt meter and have a local friend on the air so he can give you audio reports.

For shnits and giggles I was checking the current draw on the radio, ranged from 4-52Amps using clamp meter, also my new PSU shows the current draw also.

Even at 100% AM modulation you won't see a lot of difference in current from a dead carrier to 100%. On SSB there will be a lot of fluctuation.

If the deadkey is too high or the amc has been turned up too far you may see a drop in current with modulation on AM. Other than that the current meter won't help much.

Reactions: NZ8N
After reading this thread it just confirms what I have always maintained. If you want to save a buck and sound average at best you price shop for a radio and convert it yourself. If you want a great sounding radio that is properly tuned and aligned you buy from a shop that does quality tech work. Your new radio will be opened, tuned,converted, and shipped one time and your done. Time to enjoy your radio.

On radio's I purchase used the extent of what I will do to a radio is limited. Bump the modulation, adjust SSB power, adjust am carrier, and wire a mic. I do know the "meter" on RCI radio's is pretty much ballpark at best. You will have to decide if you are comfortable making small adjustments to your RCI radio or not. If not your only options are leave it as is or send it out to a good tech for a check-up.

Im not hasty to start adjusting pots and stuff, I grew out of touching things and breaking them along time ago. My original post, and Im not sure why Im justifying myself, but I will nonetheless is merely me wondering why the case of the meter not hitting tops when I yell into mic was. Thats all, like I said, if it sound good on the other side let it be.

Even at 100% AM modulation you won't see a lot of difference in current from a dead carrier to 100%. On SSB there will be a lot of fluctuation.

If the deadkey is too high or the amc has been turned up too far you may see a drop in current with modulation on AM. Other than that the current meter won't help much.

I got a janksy Workman 1000w meter, let me know if I should run tests dead key. Although I hazard a guess the meter wont be accurate as such . But a ballpark

I got a janksy Workman 1000w meter, let me know if I should run tests dead key. Although I hazard a guess the meter wont be accurate as such . But a ballpark

Ballpark is ok. Much better than the bars on the front of the radio. I'm not sure if that's a pep or average reading meter but try it. See what you have at deadkey and then at max modulation.

Ballpark is ok. Much better than the bars on the front of the radio. I'm not sure if that's a pep or average reading meter but try it. See what you have at deadkey and then at max modulation.

Not sure ssb and AM show similar output wattage wise. Of course im checking ssb with modulation, needle gets to samw level as AM with modulation which is normal?

For a pep meter am and ssb will usually be in the same neighborhood with modulation.

I asked about carrier and pep on AM because that will give you a rough idea of your modulation percentage on AM. If your pep power is roughly 4 times the carrier on AM you're around 100% modulation.

For a pep meter am and ssb will usually be in the same neighborhood with modulation.

I asked about carrier and pep on AM because that will give you a rough idea of your modulation percentage on AM. If your pep power is roughly 4 times the carrier on AM you're around 100% modulation.

You mean for example, if AM deadkey is 50W but with modulation the watts meter needle travels to 200W ? Those figures were examples I made up.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.