• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Modulation meter low bars on radio

Cut the RF power knob back some when you're on SSB and you'll be fine.

Modulation drives the PEP especially on AM so that adjustment will have an affect on your peak power. 75% up is fine. I've had radio's NIB that had the AMC pot nearly all the way down.

I'll have my N2 radio by Saturday.

All the best fella, I await some feedback, look forward in hearing about it.

Just to conclude, so in summary, the dead key on high 100W, dead key on low power 10W, max auddioo test in AM 400 whats when RF power dial turned max, this is looking good now right?

Also, twice this occured, the speaker made some beeping noises or such, some noise from the onboard electrics, almost like a pc speaker but not quite.

Last edited:
All the best fella, I await some feedback, look forward in hearing about it.

Just to conclude, so in summary, the dead key on high 100W, dead key on low power 10W, max auddioo test in AM 400 whats when RF power dial turned max, this is looking good now right?
Good 2 go!

Let's see if I can get mine at rated 200w max and 50w DK with RF knob all the way up.

Never had in the past, it usually ends up between 9 and 2 o'clock.

I'll post pics after I get my set if it's needed.

Reactions: Limeybastard
I just realized something, those figures I posted after making the adjustments is if I am speaking with my mouth touching the mic and loud . But if I create a inc of space and talk into mic normally my modulation goes down the toilet LOL

I put the modulation pot all the way, and I could hear the radio making a vibration type rattling noise, similar to when a speaker is distoring, strange since I dont have talkback, so unsure where this sound came from. Not sure what this.

The pots on this is counterclockwise increase .

Good 2 go!

Let's see if I can get mine at rated 200w max and 50w DK with RF knob all the way up.

Never had in the past, it usually ends up between 9 and 2 o'clock.

I'll post pics after I get my set if it's needed.

Hi Fella,
Was wondering, just a quick question, When I was adjusting the AMC VR17 pot on the radio, I noticed when I modulate, I can hear a faint resonating type buzz sound from the the radio frame chasis area, almost like metal to metal vibration, very faint and tinny, would you happen to know what this noise is about, It goes away if I turn the modulation pot lower than what it was before.
cheers

With external amplifiers you can sometimes hear audio coming from the amplifier case. The audio is coming from the output transformers. When this happens the tuning is off or there are excessive harmonics, usually from the radio driving the amp. The ferrite is just loose enough to vibrate at an audio rate.

I've also heard this from ferrite cores snapped around the power leads of an amplifier. Once I was trying to keep RF out of a switching power supply so I put some ferrite cores around the amps power leads. It took a few minutes to figure out where the hell the voices were coming from.

This may or may not be whats happening with the amp in your radio, I'm just tossing out ideas.

Reactions: Limeybastard
With external amplifiers you can sometimes hear audio coming from the amplifier case. The audio is coming from the output transformers. When this happens the tuning is off or there are excessive harmonics, usually from the radio driving the amp. The ferrite is just loose enough to vibrate at an audio rate.

I've also heard this from ferrite cores snapped around the power leads of an amplifier. Once I was trying to keep RF out of a switching power supply so I put some ferrite cores around the amps power leads. It took a few minutes to figure out where the hell the voices were coming from.

This may or may not be whats happening with the amp in your radio, I'm just tossing out ideas.

All of what you said sounds spot on and makes sense, cheers. It sounds like a bug rattling inside very faintly, only started it once I over modulated, but now present even when I put the VR17 back to its original setting. I only hear it when during my inititial milli seconds of modulation or so.

All of what you said sounds spot on and makes sense, cheers. It sounds like a bug rattling inside very faintly, only started it once I over modulated, but now present even when I put the VR17 back to its original setting. I only hear it when during my inititial milli seconds of modulation or so.

The modulation limiter on some of these rigs reacts too slow. I have a stock galaxy 95t that is like that. The mod limiter isn't quick enough to catch that first word. The first peak it around 150 and the limiter holds it to 125 for the rest of the transmission. Never heard any noise from it as long as the talkback is off.

The modulation limiter on some of these rigs reacts too slow. I have a stock galaxy 95t that is like that. The mod limiter isn't quick enough to catch that first word. The first peak it around 150 and the limiter holds it to 125 for the rest of the transmission. Never heard any noise from it as long as the talkback is off.

Oh exactly, I think I get you. Since, for example on lowest rf power 10W or so on deadkey, it modulates to almost 150W initially then remains in the 10- 100W range.

Oh exactly, I think I get you. Since, for example on lowest rf power 10W or so on deadkey, it modulates to almost 150W initially then remains in the 10- 100W range.

Yep. The numbers I posted were estimated but you get the idea. I haven't used that radio much in a long time.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.