• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More 148 Mic Help

Wire Weasel

Senior Moment
Dec 13, 2008
Now trying to hook up a Texas Ranger SRA 158 4H six wire mic up to this same old school 148.

The 148 is the older wiring pattern. That is, you cannot take a modern 4 pin Cobra/Uniden/Galaxy mic, put it to a 4/5 pin adapter and stick it on there. That won't work.

The Ranger mic is the 6 wires with a blue and yellow added.

Any help?

Have an old school Telex Turner Road King 56 six wire and it wired up like this

1) WH
2) Shield
3) Black
4) Red
5) Blue

yellow n/c

I would have been happy to leave it on but the mic is flaky and has problems so trying to get another mic hooked up.

This is why I hate wiring mics. There are too many different styles and wiring patterns out there. Don't mind the soldering but searching around and finding out which wire goes to which pin is the biggest headache in radioland.

Last edited:

the 148 gtl Stock
1- Audio
2- Shield
3- Receive
4- Sw Com
5- Transmit

Ranger
1- Shield (Ground)
2- Yellow (Audio)
3- Red (Transmit)
4- White (Receive)

with the mic un keyed SW Com and recieve pin will show a zero reading with a multimeter set to resistance, same for the transmit and SW Com when mic is keyed.

What you could do is test the blue/yellow wire in you're mic and see if it gives you a zero resistance. which ever one of the two show you a zero reading than that is your SW com.

I know how you feel i was making a patch chord for my 2000GTL for a mixer and mic addon and it took me a little time to figure out what sw did lol good luck WW

Last edited:
Hey thanks SP !! These will be good notes for myself and others to use.

I just got a handful of radios and mics in a package deal. They're all miss and match so I am having to scrounge up working mics to go with some of these radios.

There was an Astatic D104 M6C in the pile and it wired up to the 148 as stated as cbtricks so I have that one to go with it and it seems to be working okay.

Thanks again! WW

My pleasure, like i said it confused me aswell when i looked up the info on my 2000, i did not know what sw com stood for or what it did.

worse case scenerio open your ranger mic up and look at the ptt switch, inside that switch are 2 little brass clips side by side that just slide over a set of pins at a time. If you open youre mic up you will see exactly what wires go where.

Glad i could be of some help WW, now get them mics working!:love:

OK I see this is a very old thread, But I have a question??

Is there a way to wire up a 4 wire (shield red black white) stock cobra mic, the the 5 pin 148GTL Philly?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.