• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More Ebay fun

LOL, that's funny. It's almost like hams who are on eBay 24/7 looking for a rogue amplifier to report.

I had to ask the dude a question since X-Force does not even build a TNT 900. LOOL the dumb $hit did not even get back to me.

I had to ask the dude a question since X-Force does not even build a TNT 900. LOOL the dumb $hit did not even get back to me.

X Force doesn't list the 900 any more, but a couple of years ago they did build them. B biased 2x4 amps are just a horrible idea and they didn't sell enough to make them worth offering.
$530.....it will be relisted again. How in the world is a 2x4 amp supposed to be useable on SSB???

I never did understand making a 2 driver section amp. How could you possibly not overdrive the piss out of the 4 other transistors without some major attenuation. If you can find them the newer straight 4 pill from TNT wouldn't be a bad amp. It would not put big numbers up with a single final ssb radio, but I bet it would get your name called and be clean and the amp would last a very long time as well. Heck you could even use a radio like a magnum 257hp or stryker 955hp with the HD 4 pill. My brother in law has one of the TNT 4 pill HD amps, not sure the model number, but they do look to be built well and are biased b. JMO but I would look into a straight 4 pill. Leave the driver section stuff alone if possible, a 1x4 aren't too bad, but I promise that a straight 4 pill, while it may not show the same watts as the 1x4, will work just as good and will be clean as you won't over drive it. If ssb dx'ing is what you are after, look around real good, there are a few amps that would work well and are 2 pill amps, like the magnaforce or an original Dave made 2 pill or an older xforce 2 pill HD amp with ssb delay. I love my little magnaforce 350hd and have no issues getting my name called on ssb even when there is a pileup. I can use either my magnum 257hp with a 2 watt dead key and the radio does around 70 watts pep, into my magnaforce 350hd and see around 300-400 pep with it. This is with a 2 transistor amp that still sounds clean on ssb. If it were me and I was looking for a good 4 pill or a 1x4, in would look at the Dave made amps, especially the old school ones in the gold box. I know amps are getting harder to get so when you do decide what you want, make sure it's a good one. There are still deals out there, just have to look around, I found my magnaforce 350hd for $80. Look around on CL, that is where I have found most of my used gear at. eBay is a joke anymore. That and maybe there are some other locals near you that have something for sale. Good luck and hope you get what you want. Like I said look at the newer TNT straight 4 pill HD, they seem to be built like the Dave made and xforce amps. God bless and have a Merry Christmas.

If you aren't going to buy it, and you can't control who does buy it, why worry?

I guess I just don't get it *smh*

If you aren't going to buy it, and you can't control who does buy it, why worry?

I am relatively open when it comes to letting radio ops run what they want, but 1x4 and 2x4 amps are a waste, they are current hogs, run hotter and have the potential to become self oscillating splatter boxes that tear up the band for other operators.

It is not necessary to run 2 2879`s into 4 2879`s.
If you take the same 2879`s and run them as a 6 transistor amp, you will see more/cleaner output, have less heat/stress and a set-up that will be more trouble free.
I would not want to live in the hood with the guy next door trying to get a KW + out of 4 2879`s by overvolting/driving the piss out of them.
IMHO.

Jeff

Reactions: 1 person
LOL, that's funny. It's almost like hams who are on eBay 24/7 looking for a rogue amplifier to report.

Hell im a ham and i could give two flips less what sells on Ebay....
Im not a KC cop and/or a ham narc....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio