• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

More Noob than the average Noob...

SwampCracker

SuperNoob
Mar 8, 2011
Greetings all,

The title of my post pretty much sums it up...I'm a big noob!

I had a Cobra 25 in my P/Up truck years ago when I was younger and had some fun with friends but drifted away from it since.

But, over the last few years I started thinking about CB radio's again & getting another one. I have since been introduced by a friend to HAM (he's into it) and think that eventually I will gravitate that direction as well but decided that CB would be a nice "re-introduction" into radio comm's and now that I am older with a little cash to play with that's where I will start. I have a lot to learn though I know. But, I have more time to dedicate to a new hobby/addiction now so look for a LOT of noob questions from me in the near future!

Anyways, a couple of months ago I began my new addiction er...hobby:D
It started with my purchase of a Cobra 29 WX NW ST for the Jeep then, I picked up two of the Midland 75-822's and the following week I picked up a Galaxy DX 2547 with an Solarcon (Antron) A99 for a base station of sorts... I hope I have at least started down a decent path with the equipment I have purchased; we shall see...

Anyways, just wanted to say hello & I am really enjoying perusing the forums so far. I am learning alot as I read but also learning how little I know about radio comm's in general!

That's ok though, gotta start somewhere.

That's all for now from the Redneck Riviera of West Central Florida...SwampCracker out...

welcome to the forum swampcracker.

you will like it here, this forum is not sponsored by a business that sells radio equipment, so the info here is honest and not full of BS.

quite a few of the other forums are sponsored by businesses, and they frown upon info that doesnt help their sales.
just trying to give you some perspective.

you have good equipment there. im not impressed by newer midland radios, but you will like the 29.

2547 and the A99 are a tried and true combo. im sure there are many operators out there using that same setup.

if you find that your signal is getting into the neighbors' electronics, you will need to raise the antenna higher.

next thing to get is a good mic for that 2547, you dont really need an amplified mic, but thats up to you.

come up with some numbers to ID yourself and check out channel 38 in LSB mode during the day.
you will be hearing stations from all over the country and can see if you can reach them.
have fun!
LC

Thanks for the warm welcome LC!

Yes, I have an amplified mic - a Cobra Highgear "M75" I believe is the model.

While I have your ear, I was wondering what you thought about the RMItaly linear amps? I've been eyeballing the KL-503 for the home base (and yes, I do have a ac 2 dc power supply -Pyramid) & the KL-203 for the Cobra 29 in the Jeep...just want that little bit of "umph" if ya know what I mean but, I am not out to "crush" anyone in a keydown contest etc. so I figured these would get me where I need to be?

Here's a link to the 503: www.rmitaly.com

And the 203: www.rmitaly.com

I'm ready to pull the trigger on these two if they are up to snuff. I appreciate your (and anyone else's) opinion on these before I buy...

Thanks once again,

SwampCracker out...

Expect output to be about 1/2 to 2/3 what they say it is.

Check craigslist, you can usually find 50 - 500w Palomar / Texas Star amps for under $200, usually under $100.

Also, remember, your antenna is 9/10 of your setup.

You cannot beat the good old fashioned 102" whip. :)

as stated earlier, your antenna is by far the most important part of your setup. be sure to get a good quality antenna. and be sure it is setup correctly. high dollar radios and amps won't do u any good without a correctly tuned and installed antenna. can't stress this enough!!! have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions, everyone here is happy to help.

Another quick question regarding my Power supply and the amp I want to connect to it.

I have the Pyramid PS-15kx Power supply. (Pyramid PS-15KX)
10amp constant/12amp surge.

I wanted to power the RMItaly KL-503 (www.rmitaly.com) with this amp but, if I am reading the specs on the amp correctly I think the power supply will be "underpowered". Am I correct?

Not much of an electronics guy...guess I'll be needing to learn/educate myself some more on that end...

Again, this will be used with the DX 2547 and the A99 base antennae.

Thanks in advance for the help...

cobra hg m75 mic mod/fix

yeah I have one I did the shorting of the one resistor and change the other resistor but not sure if the c1 cap is polarized so I didn't change it but very good audio and very fast at keying up.
so if anyone can tell me if it is polarized or not would help so I don't kill the mic?

Welcome to the forum. As stated above, You will like it here. To answer your question, You will need a bigger power Supply to run that KL-503. The Specs stated the KL-503 will draw up to 30 amps. Texas Star amps are very stable but they do use a lot of amperage draw.

73's
Leonard

To run that linear on the edge of the power supply capabilities you will need at least a 35 amp power supply, but a 50 amp power supply would be better.
You didn't list what coax you are using, but I would recommend a good quality coax for many years of trouble free use.
Personally I use LMR 240 or LMR 400 which is double shielded and has a low dB loss of signal.

Charles

Another quick question regarding my Power supply and the amp I want to connect to it.

I have the Pyramid PS-15kx Power supply. (Pyramid PS-15KX)
10amp constant/12amp surge.

I wanted to power the RMItaly KL-503 (www.rmitaly.com) with this amp but, if I am reading the specs on the amp correctly I think the power supply will be "underpowered". Am I correct?

Not much of an electronics guy...guess I'll be needing to learn/educate myself some more on that end...

Again, this will be used with the DX 2547 and the A99 base antennae.

Thanks in advance for the help...

To run that linear on the edge of the power supply capabilities you will need at least a 35 amp power supply, but a 50 amp power supply would be better.
You didn't list what coax you are using, but I would recommend a good quality coax for many years of trouble free use.
Personally I use LMR 240 or LMR 400 which is double shielded and has a low dB loss of signal.

Charles

I have a Galaxy 2547 with an Antron 99 36' above the ground. I also have an RMItaly KL-503 powered with an RM Italy SPS 1030S 30Amp Switching Power Supply. I run 1.5W into the amp which is set on 2 or 3. I have run up to 5W in and the amp set on 6. WOW. It gets out!! I won't key up for long at those settings so I just keep it set a 1.5W in and set on 3. I can talk all day long and be just fine. My meter shows I'm at about 100W dead key with a swing to 150/175W. Just enough not to be in the mud. Do not overdrive the amp and you'll be just fine.

D

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.