• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

more winds

bob85

Supporting Member
Mar 30, 2005
england
nothing to worry about, 70+mph today and p ssing it down, the 50+mph we had a couple of days ago snapped two locals vector 4000's, no surprise there,
oscars sigma4 broke the pole but the antenna landed in bushes undamaged, its back up swaying in the breeze today,
on the upside forget lou's channel guard filters, high winds are the very best bleedover filter in town,
if we could just have 90-100mph sustained for a day or two i recon me and my buddy al would have the band to ourself at least for a few days:D

the wind is back, 5.3 earthquake a few days ago 80+ winds yesterday and its stronger than that today, the met office dickheads are reporting 14 -26mph but they are way wrong, must be using a dosy to measure wind speed, roof tiles are falling fences blowing over roads closed to high sided vehicles,
1 a99 snapped like a twig on the bottom section this morning, imax 2000's 2 snapped,
the i10k's are bending like a fly rod but not bothered at all so far,
yeehaaaa come on we will find how durable jays antennas are.

Measured 60 to 80 mile here, no damage the Imax 2000 was mostly horizontally :D

M8's T part of his mast snapped, welded an new one with TIG and stainles steel, so that one will hold now since it is an lot stronger.

Oh yes, regularly, last year january we clocked gusts of 90 miles an hour, and during one hour 100 miles, some damage to my rotating mast, made an new one thicker stainless steel and this one didn't budge.

Close to the sea here, G.B. and Holland both will be hit by several storms each year.

These weren't the worst i've seen, so no problems.
In 1944 sustained wind was 175 kilometres an hour about 110 miles an hour and gusts exceeding 200 km/H or 120 miles an hour.
Stronger gales have been measured, but then i have to lok 'm up.
One reason i build my masts and antenna's very strong.. or else you pick it up from the ground.

You get used to it, and buildt an bit stronger as required.

the strongest i have seen was 110mph that brought down my sigma4 and the top 40+ft of my mast,
i think the strongest recorded was a shade over 130mph,
you want to prove your antenna is tough send it here,
more reports of damaged antennas have been comming in today,
no cb antenna we can by in the uk will stand our weather for years if its in an exposed area, most wont even do a couple of rounds unless they are mounted on a very floppy pole or you strengthen them somehow,
my buddy als i10k is exposed on a hill 18 months + and counting dingding round 6 (y)

That is some serous wind! Here in central Texas we get bad t-storms matter of fact starting about this time of year tapering off in June. The most wind I have seen at my house of 13 years is 70 mhp, and that allways happens with a t-storm. We never have (well maybe every 20 years or so) winds over about 40 mhp with cold fronts. My other money hole is rc helicopters, and this is a slow time of year for that hobby, to windy!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.