• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Morse Code- Round 2

Sonwatcher

Apr 6, 2005
Colorado
FCC Invites "Oppositions" on Two "Morse Proceeding" Reconsideration Petitions

NEWINGTON, CT, Apr 13, 2007 -- The FCC has invited opposition comments ("oppositions") to two petitions for reconsideration filed in the wake of the Commission's Report & Order (R&O) in WT Docket 05-235. That R&O altogether eliminated any Morse code examination element to obtain an Amateur Radio license. One petition calls on the FCC to reinstate the 5 WPM Morse code requirement for Amateur Extra class applicants. The second cites problems with the FCC Electronic Comment Filing System (ECFS) and seeks to have the Commission reopen the proceeding for an additional round of comments. Oppositions are due April 27 (comments in support of either petition are not welcome). Replies to oppositions -- ie, comments on the opposition comments -- are due 10 days later. Petitioner Anthony R. Gordon, KG6EQM, of West Covina, California, contends that "significant national security implications" require that the Commission take another look at the issue.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/04/13/105/?nc=1

Petitioner Anthony R. Gordon, KG6EQM, of West Covina, California, contends that "significant national security implications" require that the Commission take another look at the issue.

What ....
Is he for real...

dropping code is in some way related to national security

what is that dude on..

Because a lot of the guys that never stay up with what is going on in Ham radio were suddenly shocked to find out that code testing went away for real, and now they want a second chance to beat the dead horse.........

Jeff

It seems really strange to me that comments supporting the petitions are not welcome. I hate one-sided discussions (even though I do oppose these particular petitions).

Morse code for national security? MARS stations stopped using CW as a core communication mode a while ago. None of the military branches has used much morse code since the late fifties--and that was very limited!

As for the electronic comment system being flawed, if you really want your comments to get to the FCC (or other agency) send them certified mail. Electronic messages aren't worth the paper they aren't written on!

I am afraid that there were a number of folks who didn't realize what was happening until it had happened and wants it re-opened, but the ARRL says they represent us all--so they should have represented our best interests in the course of this rulemaking. Right?

I keep waiting for the lawsuits over this rulemaking. I guess after the petition fails to get the FCC to "fix" the electronic comment system then the lawsuit can be filed. It looks better that way--'We tried to use the system, but the FCC insists on ignoring comments from the people..."

Six weeks, or so, since the end of morse code testing and the sky hasn't fallen, there hasn't been a major influx of "CBers" on the HF bands, and anarchy has not broken out across the land. But it is still early,a nd these could happen any time now....

Dave_W6DPS

Dave_W6DPS said:
Six weeks, or so, since the end of morse code testing and the sky hasn't fallen, there hasn't been a major influx of "CBers" on the HF bands, and anarchy has not broken out across the land. But it is still early,a nd these could happen any time now....

Dave_W6DPS

Course, the bands have been really crappy too. Yesterday about 2 pm local I had to run 600 watts just to make a lousy European contact on 20. And never did get that station from Crete calling CQ.

Contrast that with back in '95 and '96 when 20 was open all night long and 100 watts into a dipole would bust a pileup.

Maybe we won't see the great CB invasion. Or if there is one in progress, we won't hear them for a few years till the solar cycle picks up...and maybe by that time they will have gained some experience--or left for greener pastures!!

CW

Definitely an odd topic;
At first, it was "Welcome aboard". Now it's" Go away".
This has as much to do with "natonal security", as my mastiff has to do with common sense.
Had the elder ops stayed in touch, this wouldnt have bit them in the butts.
Nothing will become of this; day late, dollar short.
Just more drama, which the community seems to thrive on.
Makes me regret spending the $14.

They should be putting their energy into a more comprehensive theory test, maybe a newly designated class to differentiate it.

Even the old Extra wasn't all that deep in its question pool, it was mainly the super fast code requirement that was the filter.

If the Extras want to claim they are the exalted radio elite, there should be something more that proves it beyond their ability to perform cw quickly.

Right now, it's pretty easy to get Extra with just a few weeks with nose in a book and finger on a question pool.

I'll be taking mine soon.

I wish there were a really tough level to strive for though...something more like the FCC 1st class radio license.

30wpm code...it only shows me you can learn a second language and have decent coordination and muscle control. It doesn't show me much as far as one's radio knowledge.

If this goes through, I will loose my Extra and be degraded to tech again?

Also, I got my 1x2 vanity call, which Extra is a requirement.

I guess I'd loose that too?

Then what, get my old 9x9 call back?

CW

C2 said:
If this goes through, I will loose my Extra and be degraded to tech again?

Also, I got my 1x2 vanity call, which Extra is a requirement.

I guess I'd loose that too?

Then what, get my old 9x9 call back?

That's my point C2; this is nothing but a vain attempt to appease those that didn't follow what was going on; this will not pass.

Kind of like legalizing something, then once everyone does it, making it illegal again, and then prosecuting those that "legally" broke the law.

I have nothing but respect for sonwatcher and the others here, but this is bullsh*t in it's purest form.

Oh well how does this help get new hams on the bands? oh I get it it's just another attempt to keep ham radio like it was? just a bunch of happy old farts ond geeks. I love my hobbie but some of us really need to get out of the shack more and into the bookstores this was talked to to death for years and years. The Fcc made a decision Most welcomed it some did not. Oh well time to move on to greener pastures. Oh well the public still has their cell phones and internet connections.Yep lets bring back code and watch the ranks swell up with new hams! :roll:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.