• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Most powerful bubble pack radios

Onthecoast

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Sep 13, 2012
Does anyone know if there are any 4-5 watt bubble pack radios available? I believe that most max out around 2 watts at best, but I would like to find some with the max allowable power behind them.

Bubble pack radios usually only transmit 0.5 watt on the strictly FRS channels. Some of the Midland bubble packs a reported to transmit in the area of 5 watts on the GMRS channels. Because the bubble pack radios operate on UHF frequencies, it is strictly line of sight- one or two miles at best unless you can elevate a radio (eg. hill or mountain) which is the only way one could advertise a range of 35-40 miles. Once you go past 2 watts, generally speaking, all the extra wattage does is drain your batteries faster and really doesn't give you any better range (again unless you can elevate a radio). I've found that the Cobra models seem to do a bit better than most (both from what I've read and actually tried) due to their increased sensitivity on their receivers. In comparing Motorola (bubble pack), Puxing (5 watt), Motorola 5 watt HT 600 (commercial dinosaur) and Cobra LI 7200, the Cobra seemed to have a little bit better range but was also a bit noisier...good luck in your search!

Reactions: 1 person
The more expensive midlands are about 5 watts but they just dont hold up in the field and the RX and selectivity is crap.

Some of the motorola do about 2 watts and they seem to hold up better than anything and are less susceptible to interference.

We use these for work in the most **** up conditions, and I learned
#1 toss the batteries they came with, dont matter if its nimh or nicd, or how vigilantly you keep em charged they dont last longer than a few minutes
#2 AAA batteries are extra hassle when everything else runs on AA
#3 nothing sucks more than being 400 feet up a tower and some kid thinks its fun to mess with you. Use a PL tone, shuts the kids, schools and b.s. up, kid jammers think you cant hear them, because you cant hear them and pay them any mind and they quickly give up
#4 baofeng, woxun, TYT, etc stomps on the blister pack radios

+1 for the motorola`s .i use to use small 2 ways alot and tried most the low cost brands .even had some 5 watt cobras (i think they were 5watt,its been awhile)but in the end the motorola`s blew them all away .
even had more range with less power .money better spent on motorola.

I like Motorola. Always have since way back in the day of carrying a pager and cell phones predecessor the Auto-Tel system. i always had good luck with Motorola business products including their land mobile radios. Even my smartphone is a Motorola as are a pair of FRS/GMRS HT's. Some people bitch that they are hard to hack or program without the proprietary software but I just say they do a better job at protecting their copyrights and protection against knockoffs. People always bitch about not getting something for nothing. :D

I have been playing with a set of Midland GXT-785 radio's for about a year now. They claim to be 34 mile radio's. While I know that's hardly possible they do kick butt. Any time you can get up on a hill, parking garage, 2-3 floors up by a window you can get some crazy range. On a trip car to car while driving over an overpass I got an 8-10 mile contact, this was in northern Michigan on I-75. Even standing in my back yard I can hit a friend also standing in his back yard at 4 miles in the city. Not bad.

Cabela's: Midland GXT 785 VP3 Radio Pack

Midland GXT785VP3 Model GXT785 X-Tra Talk Two-Way Radios with 42 Channels, 5 Animal Call Alerts and Weather Scan, Up to 34 Mile Range, 142 Privacy Codes, Dual Power Options, NOAA Weather Alert Radio with Weather Scan, HI/MED/LO Power Settings, eVOX -

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.