• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Motorola "codes"?

WetCoyote

Apr 27, 2014
Greetings! Newbie here and a newbie to radio in general and bought a Baofung UV-5R. I am starting my journey in getting a Technicians license and figured having a cheap starter was a good idea. While I know better than to ever "key up" where I am not licensed, I do have a question someone might be able to help me with.

I work for good or bad, at Walmart. While it was pretty simple to monitor the radios they are on 154.570 and understand its a unlicensed use freq. with caveats, like no more than two watts, not interfering with others, etc. I find I cannot talk back to them. In my digging, discovered that the Motorolas they use are using a a privacy setting on that freq. that shows on the radio as code "121". I am guessing it is a DCS of some sort, but not sure what it is to program into the radio.

Any ideas out there? And thanks.

Figured it out. Moto just calls it "Codes" I suppose to make it harder to know what they are using, but they are just using standard CTCS or DCS, nothing fancy at all. I just had to trial and error thru the library in the DCS list of the BF-5R to find the one that broke squelch. Once I got that figured out, it works fine.

I had been trying forever to do that by cycling thru the CTCS and DCS list but no dice, till I figured out a quirk of the UV-5R, at least mine. After you change it in your TX settings for the channel, if you dont power cycle it, it never takes it.

I give up.
what are we talking about here?

PL (Moto private line, aka, subaudible tone)
DPL (digital PL, whatever that it)

something else?

I appears to be a Motorola DPL code. Here is a CLP Series manual for a Motorola product. Pages 35 and 36 provide PL and DPL codes.

Attachments

• CLP CAN User Guide 68012000084-C.pdf
    4.7 MB · Views: 222
To put it real simply it is a Tone squelch..The listening radio will not unsquelch if it doesn't get a certain tone. Just like repeaters "well most" if your transmit signal doesn't have the right tone with it ..The repeater won't repeat it..

Say you have someone miles off and a week signal that would break the squelch on the radio and hear them.but you're only trying to talk to your friend who is much closer "a stronger signal".and only want the radio to receive when your friends transmit..you would have to set a squelch tone the same between the friend and yourself.

This tone is transmitted with your signal and tells the receiving radio you want to hear this communication. So it will play that signal so you can hear it and not the others you don't want to.

Nothings perfect .If both signals "the one you want to hear and the one you don't " are both around the same distance and power either the radio won't unsquelch or you hear a mixture of the two conversation. .

Hope that helps

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.