• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moved my antenna up yesterday!

Ok the swr has finally stayed put for a few days now, and it is higher on channel 1 than 40. This weekend I am going to take my antenna down and lenghten it to adjust the swr. Also going to seal the connecter, and hopefully this will fix the problem. I will let you guys know how it goes.

nat19, you may in fact need to lengthen your radiator, but how do you really know that is what you need to do? You don't! You're likely just chasing your tail trying to fix this. My best advice is to slow down a bit. You have to be guessing, based on the results above.

You've told us for a week now that you're seeing different SWR readings and so far that is all over the place, not good. Admittedly the rain may have something to do with those variations and has to be considered, but you seem to have had problems before the rain.

You need to take a serious look at the construction and then the tune of your antenna, because the bandwidth should not be acting like you describe.

The length of the V58 is an important dimension, but when using the Manual it is also important that that dimension be considered correctly and between the right two points. I have heard guys argue as to what is the right point to use at the bottom.

Tell me if you can, what were the points you used to measure between, for the overall length @ 27 mhz? My manual shows to be 240" inches for CB?

This antenna gives two ways to mount. Have you read and do you fully understand the directions and warnings for the bottom construction noted in Detail 2D Mast Mounting on my page #5 for BA1P? Look at the Base Assembly described on page #4, and the warning on my page #3 next to the Frequency to Length Chart? There is a possibility for confusion in those words and images. I'm not sure, but you have to know where the bottom is that they describe.

Do you know where the bottom is?

How say you?

Last edited:
Yea, tap point is the final adjustment to get ot right on. I tuned mine on 40 using the length to get the best swr and then used the tap for the fine tuning. I set mine to ch40 because I use mine on 10 meter as well as 11.

Hope this helps.

Airplane, I suggested some construction considerations. If you or anyone else recall enough about your own construction, what did you do about overall length?

Look guys the antenna has been assembled for a 1-2 years now and no problems normal swr throughout the 40 channels. I took it down and raised it up and thats when it all changed. I have long since lost the assembly instructions. Maybe one of the clamps came loose and allowed it to slide in or out, I really don't know. I may take it down tomorrow if time permits and try to adjust it some.

Look guys the antenna has been assembled for a 1-2 years now and no problems normal swr throughout the 40 channels. I took it down and raised it up and thats when it all changed. I have long since lost the assembly instructions. Maybe one of the clamps came loose and allowed it to slide in or out, I really don't know. I may take it down tomorrow if time permits and try to adjust it some.
Hope this helps - If you can print it - here it is:

Attachments

• Maco V 58.pdf
    222.1 KB · Views: 6
Thanks rob!(y) So basically the antenna should be around 240" to for use on 11 meters. Also once I get it tuned properly how broadbanded will it be. Would I be able to use it in the 11 meter freeband area without a tuner? I have always used it on just 11 meters before so I'm not sure.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio