• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Moxon Or Yagi ?

116sd019

Feb 19, 2008
I need good idea for this. I want directional antenna and need good performance. I want make Moxon multiband (7-10-14-18-21-24-28 Mhz.) its cheaper than yagi very expensive aliminium tube. to get same performance this Yagi ?

You really should look at a log periodic for that many bands on a single antenna.

The antenna will be massive in size as well.

Tuning that will be quite a feat as well.

Stacking that many Moxons will be a massive headache to get them tuned as they don't stack with the 'default' dimensions.

If you actually get this done, document it, it will make for an interesting read.

116sd019,
I tend to agree with 'M.C.'. Depending on your particular circumstances ($$ and room for antennas), I think a typical multi-band yagi would be your 'better' bet.
All antennas have their 'pros/cons' both electrically and practical. The 'best' for you is going to be determined by your abilitie$ and space available. The idea is to make the best compromise possible.
The biggest problem with an antenna such as the Moxon is that it just hasn't been around long enough for all the 'bugs' to have been worked out of it, yet. If you enjoy 'playing' with antennas, it would be a nice one to experiment with, see what works and what doesn't. Be sure to document all that 'playing'! If I live long enough I'll probably want to try it too. It'd be nice to have someone to tell me what not to do!
Have fun...
- 'Doc

The monoband Moxon has been around long enough and there are no bugs I'm aware of. The multi-band moxon needs special care!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.