• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Multi-band & Wilson 1000

OneTwenty

Apr 5, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Hey all, probably a simple answer here but I'll give it a go.. Ive been using a wilson 1000 with a 980 (mobile) and have a great swr, reports both am and ssb etc. I'll probably be picking up a Grant 2 soon and was wondering if I'll be able to use the 1000 across the bands without adjusting it. Just wondering how you all run your multiband rigs mobile antenna-wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get rid of the Wilson and get a sirio 5000. It's more broadbanded.. It will have a lower SWR on "some" of the other bands on the Grant that the Wilson wouldn't. Overall a better antenna. Even with the sirio antenna you won't be able to utilize all the bands that the grant is capable of. They say it can be used on 10 meter but you'd have to do some trimming. I only use band "A" and "B" with mine. SWR is good in that frequency range. the Wilson 1000 is a good antenna don't get me wrong the sirio is just more broad banded and it sounds like it would meet your needs more if you get the Grant.

Reactions: 2 people
Guess it depends on what you mean by different bands and broad-bandedness. No single, non adjustable antenna will cover multiple 'bands' with a usable SWR with any modern radio. It's like expecting a "one size fit's all" thingy to actually 'fit' anything well except for one particular 'size'. Keep dreaming, advertizing people love it.
- 'Doc

Pick a brand, siro, wilson, whatever, it's all the same B.S. ...

Reactions: 1 person
Would the sirio not be "more' broadbanded than the Wilson based on the fact they advertise it to be 10 and 11 meter and also the SWR is lower throughout a wider range? Just asking doc.

Last edited:
Eventually I'll get on the sirio train but for now I have the pretty new wilson to deal with. Should I buy another whip and trim it down and keep the two in the car? Or would a sirio just save some headaches? What about a tuner with the existing antenna? How much would you expect the swr to degrade as you go through the bands?

greetings one twenty and welcome to the forum:

i have a wilson 5k that i am able to run with good swr on 10 and 11 meters, i only run the upper part of 11 and i'm good well into 10 meters. I used a separate whip I bought from radio shack and i did not remember have to trim it all but it's been a while since i did that.

I cannot talk about the wilson 1k or the sirio's as i do not own any yet, but plan to buy a sirio in the future, but it is very likely that you should be able to get some thing like i have,,,just be aware there are limitations to the monoband antennas

In the end, everyone's install can be unique and present it's own challenges, so at some point you are going to have to try it and find out if it works in your particular install, that is what the hobby is all about.

hope this helps out, enjoy the radio hobby.

There are a lot of antennas that can be used on 10 and 11 meters, that just depends on how you 'tune' them, adjust their length. Typically they are supplied with a whip that'll be 'close' for the lower frequency and can be shortened for the higher frequency. How much adjustment it'd take is something you'd have to talk to someone who's done that to a particular antenna before, I haven't so can't say. I'd be willing to make a guess that there would probably be at least a couple of inches difference.
To do a quick change from 10 to 11 meters by swapping whips, be sure to adjust for each band with a whip fully seated in it's ferrule. Just being off a little bit can make a difference in SWR. Being able to just plug the thing in so there's no chance of misjudging it would certainly simplify things. Painting each whip a different color helps too...
- 'Doc

Alright that's great. Thanks for the greetings btw! I'll see how far the wilson gets me and I suppose that I'll go from there.
Now, of course; I have to ask if the sirio 5000 will fit on the Wilson mount. I know obviously the sirio mount is larger but would you trust the wilson mount to hold the sirio at highway speed?

I have used LIL WIL, 500, 1000 and 5000 all on 10 and 11 meters, Yes the Sirio will work on the Wilson mount as both antennas are PL-259 ----> SO-239 mounts.

ive used the sirio z180 and the wilson. the wilson wont cover BOTH bands at once
however you can tune for either. the sirio will cover both with a swr of 1.5.1 or
less thru entire bands. from the box swr is lil better on 11 meter 1.2.1 i think
and about a 1.5.1 on 10m. you can trim off a little and balance it out
but for just a radio imo you,ll be fine. the sirio will mount right on wilson mount
and hold up too 70mph [fastest i went] butr it tipped on me a couple times
when i hit low hanging branches on my back road at 35 mph. so it will
hold but use caution

Reactions: 2 people
If you have an antenna that will report less than 2:1 over a full 1 Mhz with no adjusting, you'd better not turn loose of it! Or the meter you're using to measure it with...
- 'Doc

Hah good point doc. And thanks for confirming that hotrod. I'll probably give it a go. Now I guess the real question is what should I use the wilson for and what to use the sirio for!

If you have an antenna that will report less than 2:1 over a full 1 Mhz with no adjusting, you'd better not turn loose of it! Or the meter you're using to measure it with...
- 'Doc

dont remeber EXACT numbers but swr was usable on 10. might been closer to a 2.1.1
dont remember know that was 06 or 07 when i did testing . swr/bandwith was checked
with a mfj259b.

Well I couldn't resist (no will power) and ordered a sirio 5000. Which band do yall think should I use each antenna for?

use the sirio on both. you probaly will need to trim a tiny bit off bottom of stinger
and try to balance 11m. and 10m. the wilson is only good for 1 band so id tune it
for 11 meters. i think wilson might handle more power, not sure though

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.