• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Elecraft KX3

W6GQ

Nov 17, 2005
Well I have had in my possesion the KX3 for 2 days, I have owned it 3 weeks :cry:

The day it arrived, I noticed noise on 10 and 6 meter so much that I could not even use the bands.

I started using the other bands and made several contacts.

The auto tuner was doing a great job with a couple antennas I had. I was tuning on bands the antenna was not designed for. I have the ANT99 in the air and I tuned it on 80-6 meter. Sure, it did not make a very efficient tuner, I just wanted to see if it would tune. (ANT99 on 80 meter = dummy load)

It was late and I needed to get some sleep so I turned off the radio. The radio would not power down. The display was blank but it was still lit up. I sent an email to Elecraft and was surprised that Wayne replied that late, actually he is 2 hours earlier than me. It was decided to send the radio back for warranty.

The radio had a small issue, the display had finger prints on the inside of the display, from the factory. I sent an email asking how to disassemble it so I could clean it. Wayne informed me it was kinda tricky and I should wait until the assembly manual is released. The next day it was released that there was a hardware change made so the display lens can be easily removed for cleaning. Since the radio was going back I asked Wayne if he would do the hardware update. He responded that it would be no problem.

I went to remove the batteries I had in the radio so it can be shipped back and I noticed a couple loose toroids on the tuner board, this did not mean it was wrong, but one looked as if a leg was not soldered on the board, this would be an issue.

I put the information on a return form and sent the radio back.

The radio returned yesterday. I took it out of the box and hooked it up. Went to change some settings and noticed a multi function knob did not work, GRRRRRRRRRRRR

I was so frustrated and posted what I found on the Yahoo Group for the KX3 and sent an email to Wayne. Wayne replied immediately and I tried a few things with no luck. I walked away from the radio and started watching TV so I could calm down. Yeah , I felt I had the right to be upset :headbang

I barely sat down 2 minutes and I got a call from the other owner, Eric, who had me try a few things.

First, he had me remove the knob from the radio and try pushing the button with no knob. It worked! Eric knew it was not electrical. I put the knob back on and tried it again and it worked perfectly. Eric believes the knob may have seated against the chassis of the radio or possibly a defective knob. Either way, I had a HUGE smile on and sense of relief since it was now working. Eric is also sending me a few knobs to replace the ones on the radio, just incase there is a bur or similar on the current one.

I spent the rest of the night trying the radio out.

That is dedication, both owners made contact within minutes and had me on the air with my new radio.

Thank you Wayne and Eric!!!

I have used the radio over the weekend and have made several contacts.

The tuner on this thing is amazing, no, it does not make the antenna more efficient, but in a pinch, it will work a band that the antenna was not intended for.

It did tune an ANT99 on 80 meter and I made a contact. The other person said I was weak but he could make out what I said. I did tune 160 with the ANT99 but could not hear anything.

6 meter was open for about 5 minutes it seemed and I heard stations, just couldn't get in the pile up. Just not enough time during the opening.

Remember, if you choose QRP. you're going to need patience, there are MANY people using an amp out there and you have to get heard at just the right time.

That worked for me on 20 meter!

OE3WMA was working 14.260 and the pile up was crazy! I could hear the big stations at full scale. My mere 10 watts was calling every time I heard Martin say QRZED. There was no way I was giving up, it would be my first DX contact with the KX3! My antenna is an Alpha Delta DXCC, 55 foot high at the apex. Finally I heard Golf Quebec station only,,,,,,, it took 15 minutes, I finally got Austria as my first DX with the KX3!

I spun the VFO and heard R7DX, with the same kind of pileup. I started calling him and knew I could not stay on the air long because I heard thunder coming from the west of my QTH. Those of you near me in the MidWest know we got hit with storm front after storm front this entire weekend. I was unhooking the radio constantly to avoid a hit by lightning. Finally the KX3 got through to Russia and I was a happy camper. The storm was getting closer so I had to unhook.

I will try a few more functions on the radio and report the results. This week is crazy for me work wise so I will be limited on radio play time.

I do plan on taking this thing into the field someday soon, once that field is dry!

More to come,,,,,,,

Cool ! I'm tempted to get on the waiting list for one of these.
Nice to hear that you are getting good support. I use a Flex 1500
QRP rig (5 Watts) and have a blast with it. QRP is fun and challenging.
Enjoy your new toy!
trucker

near a diet coke can for size

Attachments

• 28360kx3.jpg
    28360kx3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 187
  • 28360kx32.jpg
    28360kx32.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 192
It's too bad you had to suffer through those issues. Perhaps as an early owner you'll expect do a bit more shaking out of bugs than later owners, but this almost seems as though there was a breakdown in QA someplace.

However! Unlike some firms, the principles at Elecraft apparently did not deny the issues or claim you were at fault but instead saw to it that those issues were corrected and now you are on the air. No, the issues should not have happened, no apologies there. The difference was the way the issues were addressed.

Many, many companies need to take a very close look at Elecraft's customer service and put it into practice in their own firms.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.