• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My First CB Base/Mobile Antenna

Unit 194

Feb 25, 2006
New Jersey
Base: Lafayette "Range-Boost/ll" End Fed 1/2- Wave Omni Antenna

Mobile: Lafayette 102" Stainless Steel Whip

What was your first CB Base/Mobile Antenna ?

8 watt Kraco 23ch radio with a Turner +3 hand mic, 102" steel whip on a bumper mount(Back when cars had real bumpers). The base was the same radio, a rat shack power supply and another 102" steel whip nailed to the peak of the roof. SWR's?...What's that? :LOL: Believe it or not it worked pretty good and never smoked the radio. The radio had a extra channel between ch23 and PA on the dial if ya turned the knob just right. That was my first experience in freebanding.

Ok, well the first base radio (not on a power supply) Was a President Zackery "T" , a 10 meter Cushcraft Ringo Antenna and a CPI speech processor, worked awesome for a barefoot set-up.

Jeff

My first base was a Navajo 23 channel with a Crossbow [radio shack] base antenna.My mobile was a Hy Gain 23 with a bumper mount 102" whip-both setups worked great for me at the time!

102 steel bouncing off the side of my pickup because I mounted it to low on the fender and didn't understand I should mabee use a tennis ball or some sh*t so I didnt ruin my midland!

My first set up (1975) was a new Midland 23 channel SSB radio (model 13-976)
and a 1/4 wave ground plane at 30'.

I was 13 years old at the time, and my parents thought I'd "outgrow this hobby."
I damned sure showed them, didn't I? :LOL:

Radio: Gonset tube rig, model G12, only had the 12 volt cord so it took a lot of current to run. Channels 5, 9, 11 and 15. Had to yell into the Mic.

Power Supply: Borrowed the ol mans 12 volt battery out of his truck. Got my ass chewed out if the battery wasn't in the ol mans truck by morning. Many times he coasted down hill and let the clutch out to start the engine, because the bettery was dead. Battery acid ruined a lot of my clothes, and left a hole in the carpet, which I hide from dear ol Dad. But he found out any way!

Battery Charger: Old WWII type that made noise and hash in the receiver. But had to be left connected so that the ol mans battery could be put back into the truck at 6 AM next morning. Woke up with battery acid taste in mouth. Patowwieeee....

Antenna: Some sort of coax, feeding a 102 inch whip antenna mounted on a 10 foot pipe on top the roof. Shield not hooked up, no place to hook it up 2! Didn't know about SWR's. My VOM meter only had volts and resistance scales.

Range: Transmit 2 miles. Receive all over the place.

Entertainment: Priceless. Meet some of the greatest folks.

Garage Radio: Gonset G12, 1/4 wave ground plane, still has low audio. But is a blast to use.

Jay in the Mojave

Got my first cb in 1975-76 and it was a sears 23channel mobile on a matching sears power supply. my antenna was a rad shack mobile trunk mount but I sneeked up on the roof of Dads house and nailed it to the peak. I ran 14ga copper insulated wire from the antenna about 50ft to the radio and just jambed it in the back of connector. I did not know any better but talked like that for two years without burning anything up. I talked every night for hours and in fact still have the radio today in good condition.

I know a little more today and use coax and set swrs.

Roger

My first antenna was a Lil Wil magnet mount on top of my 10x14 metal shed.
My first radio was a Uniden PC 66.

I am learning a lot from this great Forum Thanks :D

Pearce Simpson Lynx. Synthesized, shuffling crystals got me more channels. 22A and B and above 23.

Went to a Lafayette tube base with 7 xmit crystals and an RX VFO. Liked it alot more, there was alot of room from channel 23 to 10M. Also could TX on one channel and RX on another, my buddy with a Browning liked doing that, drove locals nuts.

Hustler Ram Jam 5/8 wave antenna.

Kicker 500 sweep tube amp.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned