• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Icom 746Pro took a dump

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
My fairly low serial number 746Pro took a dump last week. It's the standard no power output that occasionally fluctuates to full power. The yahoo group has this listed as the pre-driver that fails. :( Well, I boxed it up and am sending it to Icom for repair. Let's see if they cover this under warranty after 5 years.

About two years ago I emailed them and asked about what would happen if it failed due to one of the standard "issues" that the early serial #'s had. They said that as long as they were currently producing the rig and selling it, they would cover any failure under warranty. I guess we'll see...

I really do like this rig a lot. For the price, it sure does have a lot of nice features. I wouldn't mind having the 756Pro3, but I can't justify the expense. That rig doesn't have 2m, either.

I just happen to have this TS-440 and a Yaesu '7800 I might swap for that junky thing... ain't going for that, are you... oh well. Hey! You'd be gaining 440!
- 'Doc

hey I like them old TS-440s LOL Mole do you have other radios or looking for a loaners until yours is done? I have few HF rigs and a few 2 meter aswell. Just let me know Ive done it a few friends out here in Wi I know what thats like sitting with no radio it happen one time thats all it took LMAO now ypou should see my closet and shelves my wife dont understand it but shes cool about the collection

hmmmmph....at least you got 5 years outta yours!!! mine is less then 5 MONTHS old & has the prediver replaced THREE times along with the internal ATU! all under warranty, just the price of a 90 mile round trip drive to drop it off at an authorized repair shop! he added a customized heat sink to it the last time & its still going strong....after 3 weeks. he said that's it, if the predriver goes again, he removes the heat sink & any hint of it & i gotta send it to icom. his going repair rate is around $80/hour....icom gives him less then $40. and "I wouldn't mind having the 756Pro3, but I can't justify the expense. That rig doesn't have 2m, either" is pretty much why i went 746pro vs 756pro3, too.

May I suggest a nice reliable Kenwood?

I was also an "Icom only" owner, but twice in rapid succession I was unreasonably abused by pathetically poor and even dishonest customer service at Icom. Once was on an 11 month old $1,600 IC-7000 that I ended up basically throwing away because they refused to service it (they said no fault found, until out of warranty). The second was on a 3 year old IC208H that I paid Icom $70+ to tell me to throw away, and after I looked inside, I found they absolutely lied to me about alleged corriosion on the CPU chip.

If your Icom radio fails (i.e. when it fails) just throw it away! You'll be money ahead!

73 DE KC0RRS Bruce

Hey thanks for the replies everyone. I have a Yaesu 897D that I put inline for now. that's my backup/portable rig. I sure hope I don't get those responses from Icom!!! I can't afford to just toss this radio!

Hey Mole what do you think of that YAESU you have ?? I was looking at it but Im a little gun shy because I always seem to read that those all mode rigs seem to lack somewhere if VHF is great then HF isnt so hot. I really was thinking about the FT-947 but laid off the idea because of the above. I boaght a brandnew FT-450 HF-6 meters thats a great radio in spring I was thinking about a FT-950 unless I get talk myself into trying a 746,847 or simular anyways LOL

Ive never owned an Icom just a Yaesu and Kenwood guy I guess Ive always had good luck with them so I kind of stuck with them Mole did you say your 746 (does not) have 2 meters in it?? I thought the 746 did have all bands? What is Kenwoods all band radio or radios?

The Yaesu 897d seems like a neat little rig for what it is. The menu system and tiny display drive me up the wall at times, but I can live with it. I got it because I wanted/needed a truly portable HF/VHF all mode rig and this one is.

BTW, the 746 does have 2m in it, but not 440.

Hamer brought up these Kenwood TS-2000 When we were talking the otherday and I said I was looking at getting a newer radio to put inplace of my Yaesu FT-990. I love that 990 and just sent it out to burghardt Amateur Center 2 weeks ago for a Tuneup and had them go through it with a fine tooth comb they tested everything tuned and alligned it fixed 2bad looking solder joints and replaced the backup memory battery. I love the radio but its time for a new one and I have bben looking at the Kenwood TS-2000 and Im looking at the Yaesu line which is my choice of radio although I do own Kenwood aswell. That 2000 looks to be quite a rig though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.