• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Sencore CB-42 Test Set Is Going To Live

KD8HMO

Aug 3, 2008
Kalida, Ohio
www.protrucker.net
I just recently bought a Sencore CB-42 test set on Ebay and sent it to a shop to be refurbished and calibrated. I just got an e-mail telling me that it is going to live. He cleaned it up, checked it for out of spec parts and replaced a few electrolytics. Then he went through the calibration guide and calibrated it with his $10,000 communications monitor. He says the rf generator and freq counter are spot on now. I cant wait to get it back LOL.

th

well you are going to love using the sencore unit.
i love mine and use it regularly.

i just wish i could find one of those NL-204 noise generator add ons for it!
LC

Anyone have any idea how old the CB-42 might be? It is built to test 40 channel radios, but also seems to do tests on non PLL radios too. The circuitry seems to be pretty old school stuff too.
It is. And you are right, it is limited to CB radios and not exports. With the Hp 8656B I use, it has an FM function that can do them where the Sencore cannot. This might have been the 'go to' tool in its day, but I prefer a freq counter accuracy to +/-1hz, and the Sencore cannot deliver that. Not a big deal, unless you want to make your SSB rig as close as you can get it - IMO.

Reactions: rabbiporkchop
I bought this because im just starting out learing the basics. I wanted it mainly for the signal generator function. You can drop the signal level to under a microvolt easily and quickly. Eventually, I plan on buying a better generator or communications monitor. My next step is a better scope and maybe an old spectrum analyzer also.

I bought this because im just starting out learing the basics. I wanted it mainly for the signal generator function. You can drop the signal level to under a microvolt easily and quickly. Eventually, I plan on buying a better generator or communications monitor. My next step is a better scope and maybe an old spectrum analyzer also.
Care to share his contact info. I also have a CB42 that just started to act up.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    193.3 KB · Views: 7
These are great units when they are working properly. I have repaired dozens of them over the years. It has many more features over the B&K 2040/1040 counter part. Again it was aimed for strictly cb repair. I really liked the IF generator, crystal tester and built in frequency count along with Sinad testing. Sencore did this one right. Along with their CS-61 scope and Sencore CB-41 watt meter it was an awesome setup for a repair shop.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.