• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

My Superantenna YP-3 portable yagi weekend project

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
A couple of months ago, I ordered a new mast and tripod from penningerradio.com to try with my Superantenna YP-3 portable yagi. The mast I ordered is a 21 foot telescoping aluminum mast with the matching tripod.

First, the end result with the antenna configured for 20 meters:
moleculo-albums-superantenna-yp-3-3-element-portable-yagi-picture2451-back-yard.jpg

It has two sets of guys and the antenna is at 21 feet.

Mast:

TELM-21-lg.jpg

Tripod:

TB-1500-lg.jpg

I set it up in my back yard to see how this combination would work with the Superantenna YP-3 and the prototype Superantenna DC Rotator I found and purchased last year.

Well, things didn't go as well as I hoped. I raised the mast up with just the rotator attached and set the guys. Then I attached the antenna to repeat the process. While the tripod is incredibly strong, the mast is too flexible for an antenna configuration like this. I could not get the antenna and rotator raised up to the full height without the mast flexing and almost tipping the whole thing over! I even had two sets of guys that I was using, but it just wouldn't work.

I removed the rotator and tried the mast with just the antenna. This worked better, although it was still a little testy. The mast still flexed quite a bit as I pushed it toward the tallest point. Fortunately the preset guys sprung the mast back into shape, but it wasn't a good setup. I really need to find a portable telescoping mast that can handle this antenna; so far I'm not having much luck.

I was really impressed with the quality of the Penninger tripod. Here are a few close-ups pics of it, starting with the top and bottom clamps

moleculo-albums-superantenna-yp-3-3-element-portable-yagi-picture2452-penninger-1-5-tripod-top-clamp.jpg

moleculo-albums-superantenna-yp-3-3-element-portable-yagi-picture2453-penninger-1-5-tripod-bottom-clamp.jpg

Here's the deployed tripod. It's on a brick because the lawn isn't level. I used some large tent pegs to hold the tripod in place:

moleculo-albums-superantenna-yp-3-3-element-portable-yagi-picture2454-penninger-1-5-tripod.jpg

As a side note, I have never been able to get this YP-3 antenna down to an SWR curve that looks anything like the documented graph on 20 meters:

moleculo-albums-superantenna-yp-3-3-element-portable-yagi-picture1429-20m-gain-swr-curve-graphs-manual.jpg

I was able to get it down to under 2:1 swr across about a 30 khz range. I've also never had an opportunity where I could deploy the antenna in the clear, either. My back yard is surrounded by power wires, trees, houses, etc. I have a feeling that I could match the supplied chart if I had a little open space to work with.

As it turned out, I finally got the antenna setup stablized (where it wouldn't fall over) with about 45 minutes of daylight left. I took a few pics and then tried to make some contacts with my Yaesu 897D. I was receiving a real strong Alaska station that I couldn't get a break in for a contact. After that I swung the beam all around to try to get a contact or two for all the hard work for nothing. I ended up taking the antenna down in the dark to try another day.

I really need to find a portable mast that will support this cool antenna.

Nice write up mole. Have you looked at the 30 foot mast by ROHN? I have there 50' (its actually 43') Heavy duty mast. I Like mine alot. Mines not portable as its quite heavy but it works great since Im always moving in the military.

There 30' is supposed to be far lighter and more portable minded.

I have a Rohn 50 foot push up on my roof. I've never looked at the 30 foot one but it would have to be a lot different than the 50 foot one to be portable. I'll have to take a look at it.

Use Sandbags?

Just a thought...

If you extend the tripod feet outward, sandbags can be placed on each extended foot.
Extend just enough to give each tripod foot some bigger area. Perhaps pieces of aluminum plate from an old road sign? 8"x12"?

In video production there are pre-made vinyl bags with handles.
For low cost, any bag that would hold sand for the purpose would do.

Bring a small shovel.
Fill the bags, use em', empty out when you leave.

I think this would create a low effective center of mass to counter tipping from the mast flex or from the wind on the entire assembly.

Wlliam

The problem wasn't the tripod. The problem is the top half of the mast is too flexible and it causes the whole thing to bend and whip around.

This thing looks unbelievably great, so I emailed them for a quote on the AL1 10 meter height system. It starts at $2,750.00!!!!

Ouch:eek: You said that you wanted something that would work, not what it should cost:love:. It would be totally cool to have a setup like it though.

Moleculo,

Check out the Spiderbeam aluminum masts on spiderbeam.com They go for about $500.00 and are pretty strong. I have seen the 30 foot HD version.

I don't have any connection to the company.

Thanks for your continued great reviews on the amateur equipment. I enjoy reading them!

Bub

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.