• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Navaho TRC-431 ?

Gasngo

Dec 31, 2023
Lake LBJ TX
Well good afternoon everyone and those that are dealing with this monster cold front across the US stay safe and warm. So I posted about the Tram in my first post and still desire to get it online but for now Ill sideboard it and look at other things. That being said just scanning thru the local market place I came across and a Navaho 431. I have learned its the step from 23 to 40 channels. Fairly basic but a good starting point for the hobby? No mic and they want 40 bucks for it. I have seen them on fleabay for 20 plus 20 shipping and not as clean. So Im open to opinions and thoughts. I do know I would not have a problem going thru this myself and replacing caps Etc if I find out I cant make work or screw something up. I also have a box of stuff that has a Midland with a knob on the side. I would like to know more and will post a new thread so keep this on the Realistic product.

Thank Brad

Maybe throw them a $30 offer. I just like the way the radio looks cosmetically. Otherwise, keep an eye out for another.

It has cons, like the uPC1156 audio chip. You really want to treat it with respect. Don't want to blow that one out. Pro side is the separate mike-amp circuit. The very cheapest 3-knob radios would feed the audio pin on the mike socket directly to the top end of the volume control. Made the radio a bit wimpy on mike gain, and would cause a deafening howl from the speaker if you plugged a 4-wire power mike into it. This radio is at least one step above those.

At 45 years old, recapping it is "when" not "if".

Thanks for the input. I realize its a basic radio and if i can get it cheap enough then even better. I figured I could get my ft wet if you will doing a recap. Other than having a meter that shows Mod/SWR/Watts thats only tool I have regarding testing Etc. I could clean all the controls with Deoxit or if someone prefers something else Im open. Deoxit aint cheap. Lets see if I can get my hands on it and go from there. Again primarily price point and if I screw it up I wont feel so bad but Im pretty savvy. As for mods as long as it has a decent clean signal that would be fine for now. Fun on a lower budget for now.

Thats the plan. Its a matter of going a few miles out of my way home form work to grab it we will see how it goes. Even though its basic unit most comments are on the good side so thats a plus. The mic will be another ? but I feel like i got that figured out. Until then.

I read and found Mikes cap and ya thats the go to place. Ill look into the Mic. Need to run to San Antonio for some work and be back tomorrow and swing by and see if the gal will take 20 or 25 bucks for the radio.

I had one of those years ago. It died about 10 years ago. I ran a Johnson desk mic - which I think is pretty much a Turner +2 guts inside a Turner +3 case. No complaints with the radio, but I didn't put any more effort into it after it died.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.