• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need a little help. Not new to radios just uneducated.

racetra

Jul 7, 2011
I am lookin for a new radio. My old reliable DX99V burnt to the ground in a big rig fire 3 days ago......Quite spectacular!! I am lookin at the Galaxy
DX98VHP. It seems to have all the features of my 99 and tons of power. My old 99 was a great radio but I was always getting stepped on. I have a Texas Star DX500 but it takes up a lot of space and is an older model so I didnt have it in this truck.

I dont have a great understanding on how things work so that didnt help but I would love to learn more. I am an old dog so I only have space for a few new tricks...

Output watts, swing watts, am carrier ????
I dont care about the voice changer or roger beep but like a little echo

Is there a place that I can learn how this all works or is this the place.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Race
****I posted this in a reply to another thread by mistake....Sorry.

The carrier is un-modulated transmitt. So when you dead key, that would be your carrier.
The swing is the increase in power output in reference to the text (you speaking into the mic) that is applied to the carrier. It rises and falls to mimick the natural rise and fall of your voice. As your voice increases in volume, the power output will increase.
The peak output is the maximum output transmitted by the radio.

Cool Thanks. Just wondering, what do ya'll thing of the new Galaxy DX98VHP with a tune-up. Is it a worthy radio for truckin? What antenna and Mic would you recommend? Also, wheres the best place for the purchase and tune-up?

Thanks

Cool Thanks. Just wondering, what do ya'll thing of the new Galaxy DX98VHP with a tune-up. Is it a worthy radio for truckin? What antenna and Mic would you recommend? Also, wheres the best place for the purchase and tune-up?

Thanks

Heck if all you need is a loud trucken radio with echo and talkback check out the Stryker line. A Magnum Raptor is pretty cool as well. The Galaxy 98 VHP (very high priced) radio is ok I guess if you want an all in one package. Some guy with a little Galaxy 33 and a Texas Star 500 will still talk over you.

There are so many new radio's now that are light years better then a Galaxy 99 you would be surprised. All you can do is read up on all of them. You might check out cbradiomagazine.com for some good reviews.

Last edited:
A radio should be what is going to work for you. If there was one single right choice, there would only be one radio being made. I love Galaxy Radios. But all the manufacturers and models have their particular positives and negatives. You need to find the one that has the options, performance, and characteristics that work for you. You should decide how much power you want to run, if any. Do you want only a radio, or a radio + amp? Buy and tune accordingly. You want echo and talk back, which is a common feature on exports but can be added to any radio (granted there is room, I doubt you'll be adding an echo board to a Uniden 510XL.) You can even buy external noise toys or echo mic. Maybe you don't talk on SSB and could save money buying a radio without it. There is always a lot to think about when you are shopping for a radio.

As far as your antenna, you should go with the best you can afford, and the best performing antenna that you can. I have two trucks. One truck is strictly for off-road use through tight trails. I have 4' top loaded flexible whips behind the cab. Running a 10K or Monkey Made wouldn't be an option for that application, I would destroy them in minutes. My other truck has a Wilson 1000 on the roof. That one isn't off-road so the 62" whip isn't an issue. Sure I'd like to put a 102" up there, but there are too many overhead obstructions where I live to go that high. So figure what will be the best performing antenna that will work for your application. There is never one simple answer.

Another thing to consider is that if you go any bigger than a dual final radio, your T/S 500 will be of no use to you.

Jeff

Yea, I know. The TS is kinda big and I just wanna keep it kinda simple. That is why the DX98 got my attention. I figure 200 watts of dialed radio shoud be fine. My other galaxy was a great radio and I never had a problem with it. I know there is much better now. I probably wont ever use the VC but I like all the other features. Maybe I'll stuff the TS in the old Bronco with the old 29 or something.

Ya know, I live pretty close to you. I am in the Arnold Area up Hwy 4. I have been playin music all around the Sonora area for years and up in the Pine mtn lake area a few times.

Tracy

The DX98VHP looks like a nice radio that is geared more for when you're driving for a company that won't allow you to have a separate amp.

I'm sure you already know for paying $450 for only 200 watts of power, that you could buy a less expensive radio with a more powerful amp for less. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Looks like it has sideband, though most truckers don't run on sideband, it's nice to have if you ever wanted to work a little skip on 38 lsb (27.385 MHz)

Just whatever you do, make sure you don't transmit anywhere in the 28.000 to 29.700 area of the radio unless you have the proper license.

Also when you run this radio, run it directly off of the battery. Keep the SWR down to 1.5:1 and run a good antenna with good coax....something like a Wilson 2000 with some Belden coax oughta be good.

Yea, I know. The TS is kinda big and I just wanna keep it kinda simple. That is why the DX98 got my attention. I figure 200 watts of dialed radio shoud be fine. My other galaxy was a great radio and I never had a problem with it. I know there is much better now. I probably wont ever use the VC but I like all the other features. Maybe I'll stuff the TS in the old Bronco with the old 29 or something.

Ya know, I live pretty close to you. I am in the Arnold Area up Hwy 4. I have been playin music all around the Sonora area for years and up in the Pine mtn lake area a few times.

Tracy

Would you happen to know Rocky Black or Danny McCauley ?? Musicians from that area. I ran a Galaxy 98vhp when they first came out, Good Radio for modulation, But always remember when running a Radio with a few Mosfet Finals in line, Is Keeping your SWR down at all times. Those Mosfets don't handle a high SWR at all. JMO Also I ran 8 Ga. wire to the batteries in my Semi-Truck. Keep a Fan on the bottom of that Galaxy 98, You'll need it.

Would you happen to know Rocky Black or Danny McCauley ?? Musicians from that area. I ran a Galaxy 98vhp when they first came out, Good Radio for modulation, But always remember when running a Radio with a few Mosfet Finals in line, Is Keeping your SWR down at all times. Those Mosfets don't handle a high SWR at all. JMO Also I ran 8 Ga. wire to the batteries in my Semi-Truck. Keep a Fan on the bottom of that Galaxy 98, You'll need it.

Cant say I know them. Hey, What do you think of the Magnum S9. Would it be a good fit with the TS 500. will it need to be tweeked to work with the amp. I did have an issue when I ran my DX99 with the amp. It would blow the key up circut in the amp. If I remember corectly, I had to have the radio tuned down or somfin. I am thinking that it will probably be better to go with individual components. I just want a clean 10m radio that has a frequency counter, echo and will work with the DX500.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.