• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Decent Base Antenna On Budget

DJboutit

Nov 30, 2006
I am gonna setup a cb radio for my gf she is gonning with a old cobra base radio. Need a decent base antenna that is kinda cheap $30 to $40 to talk 12 to 15 miles feed point will be about 15 to 20 ft high which antenna do you recomond.

102" with some radials. Quick, simple, effective. I am working on the same project. My goal is a 20 mile communication.

Shop around and find an used Imax 2000, blows away the Antron. Just ask some of the locals on the cb and i bet you will find one in your price range. Its tall ( 21 feet from base to top ) and with an 11 foot antenna mast that you can find at Radio shack for around $11.00 you would be able to talk well past the range you listed.

King Mudduck said:
Shop around and find an used Imax 2000, blows away the Antron. Just ask some of the locals on the cb and i bet you will find one in your price range. Its tall ( 21 feet from base to top ) and with an 11 foot antenna mast that you can find at Radio shack for around $11.00 you would be able to talk well past the range you listed.

I doubt you will be able to find a used Imax 2000 for only $30 or $40 dollars, but I'm pretty sure you'll have no problem finding a used or new Antron 99 in that price range.

BTW, I always thought the Imax 2000 was 24 feet tall not 21 feet.

imax is 24ft in lenth end 2 end.id try the 102ss whip .or the
topone astroplane copy.i know its a little more money but its only about 12ft in total lenth

This is out of my price range would a dual coil 10k with a groud plane from a a99 work. Would it work better than a a99 and would it be able to talk to 15 miles or so?

Foolish idea unless you already have the dual coil antenna.

An 8' whip from Radio Shack is MUCH cheaper than the P-10K. Make simple radials out of wire.

Better yet, spend some money on a cheap base antenna as suggested. Don't be surprised if you get what you pay for.

I am gonna setup a cb radio for my gf she is gonning with a old cobra base radio. Need a decent base antenna that is kinda cheap $30 to $40 to talk 12 to 15 miles feed point will be about 15 to 20 ft high which antenna do you recommend.

well if you use an antron or imax you will need a mast, radio shack charges $20 for a 10 foot section so you need to figure that in the equation, then coax, that's $40>$50 unless you already have some...I hope your total budget is lots more than the $40 limit you posted. and Antron or Imax, if there are neighbors you will need to get either of these two antennas up high.

3's

SmackDown said:
I am gonna setup a cb radio for my gf she is gonning with a old cobra base radio. Need a decent base antenna that is kinda cheap $30 to $40 to talk 12 to 15 miles feed point will be about 15 to 20 ft high which antenna do you recommend.

well if you use an antron or imax you will need a mast, radio shack charges $20 for a 10 foot section so you need to figure that in the equation, then coax, that's $40>$50 unless you already have some...I hope your total budget is lots more than the $40 limit you posted. and Antron or Imax, if there are neighbors you will need to get either of these two antennas up high.

3's

$20.00 for a 10 foot mast???? You are getting shat! The Radio Shack here in town only charges $11.00.

I hear guys all the time that may be moving to a beam antenna or wanting to try something different that are selling an Imax for under $40.00, i cant see it being any different any where else.

King Mudduck said:
I hear guys all the time that may be moving to a beam antenna or wanting to try something different that are selling an Imax for under $40.00, i cant see it being any different any where else.

Trust me, it can be different everywhere else !

It's called local "supply and demand".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.