• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Need Help With 400 Motormaul, Please

StomperX

Sep 22, 2007
USA
Hello everyone!

I've been reading about the motormauls all around the net but, I have a concern and a few questions so that you could guide me to the right direction on getting it right.

I just recently installed a 400 AMP Motormaul (Brand new - XForce) and I just finished the installation today. I double check and triple check everything and everything is hooked up correctly.

I haven't talked long distance on it but, I've just talked about 20-30 seconds on it for a period of just 2-3 tries on the bowl but, no contact. I've got a 2005 Toyota Camry.

This is how I got my set up: Coax

Radio (Cobra 29 Chrome) -> Small driver (2PILL - Davemade) -> 400 Motormaul -> Maul (8PILL) -> mobile antenna.

This is correct, right?

This is how I got my electrical set up w/ 160 AMP Iraggi Alternator.

Radio and Small driver is hooked to stock volts. I got the Maul to the Motormaul to 4 800HD Batteries on a 160 AMP alternator.

Ok this is what is happening. I got my small driver variable all the way down and I've got the motormaul w/ the voltage regulator all the way down, also. I haven't turned up anything. Now, when I key up. I got this clicking noise. When I press the microphone it clicks once and when I talk to the microphone the Motormaul clicks to my modulation. It seems the relays are clicking to my modulation when I'm talking. Could it be that I've got everything turned down and that's the reason why the relays are clicking? I've got the radio at dead key 2 watts.

Can you tell me what I should to do to resolve this issue with the motormaul clicking when I'm modulating?

I really do need your help. Can you help me out, please?

Thank you for your time, sir.

StomperX

Last edited:

i have never used a motormaul, but i found this in this article: Motor Mauls - whatever you wanted to know, but were afraid to ask and it seemed interesting.
something to check anyway:

IMPORTANT: use exact length cables from each battery to the posts on the motor maul. If not, the current will be looking for the shortest and easiest path, and the signal (while in “key mode”) will be unbalanced. Also make sure the cables are well-insulated, and will not short out on the outer metal case of the motor maul.

DO NOT independently ground the batteries after the motor maul. Or the amplifier that is connected to the motor maul. Ground them to the correct labeled posts ---or the adjoining cables--- on the motor maul. (observe polarity). You must ground the negative charge post on the motor maul directly to the frame (this is the combined ground for the batteries and amplifier connected after the motor maul -- so a sufficient ground is very important.

good luck with it.
LC

Update: 07/04/2010 @ 11:16 AM (Mountain Time)

I finally figured it out. It was connected wrong coaxialey and I've turned up the variable on my small driver a little bit and it works now. It's not CLICKING anymore when I'm modulating.

I had it hook up like this: Radio -> Baby Driver -> Motormaul -> Maul -> Mobile Antenna. - - WRONG!!!

After doing some research on the net on the hook up I finally got it correct like this: Radio -> Motormaul -> Small Driver -> Maul -> Mobile Antenna - - THIS IS THE CORRECT WAY!!!

.. and it’s working the way it suppose to.

Have a great 4th of July and time to hit 27.025 Mhz in a day or so.. LOL! :D :D :D

Richard – Stomper | 179

Have a good day!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.