• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need some help setting up hi fi audio

I always assumed those Flex SDR rigs were just were just as easily as easily modified 411 meters just like any other HF. Learn something new everyday. Not like I was buying one anyway. think I recall a thread or reply on a thread that those Flex radios sounded incredible and was mention that work and are being used on 11 meters. Parently I was wrong. Thanks 73 for some reason the voice to text on my Galaxy j7 doesn't work very well when using it on this form. That's why my reply is all fucked up. I'm tired of going back and correcting every mistake that's made. This doesn't happen when I use voice to text on messaging or email. Only on this form. Maybe on other forms also but I don't belong to any other so I wouldn't know. Sorry for the screwed up reply but I think you get where I was going

A friend has some hacked software for an old flex 1000. Flex can be set up for mars use but the company wouldn't give it to anyone without the proper credentials. It can be done but they make it as difficult as possible.

I seem to remember hearing about guys hacking earlier Flex's for 11 meters but I believe they closed that door on newer ones, it seems that they really don't want their radios on 11.What about class E transmitters?

Not speaking from experience but I have looked into building one for the lower bands. I think it gets harder to make the amplifier stable at higher frequencies.

It wouldn't be as efficient but I have thought about the possibilities of doing this with a class C CB amp.

Are they for sale? Or better yet "open source", sure would save me a lot of grief if I could buy one of these, the people on eBay are selling 1st gen MMM board clones for 95$, they didn't design it, the parts cost probably around 10$ and they want way too much mark-up. Don't get me started on my opinion of Asymod boards... Honestly they all want too much $ for what you get... (parts wise)

I could be mistaken but the gentleman that designed the MMM "Mauldulator" drew inspiration from the Panaxis AM-100? I think anyway.
Not open source. I couldnt even begin to even know how to download an open source file. I taught myself how to make a board and had it made. Thats the part where people dont get. We want something for nothing. Nothing against you but it may have cost 10-15 dollars for just the board, maybe even cheaper. Then you factor time it took to develop the board , have it built. Some board houses charge for a setup fee, time it takes to build the sheet of boards . Youre looking at up to a month or more, what cost $10 a board had to come out of a $300 sheet of boards and up to over a month of wait time if not more. So I know it seems like crap but there is more to it then just what you see. Give it to Asymod for taking MMM design and running with it but it does cost more then $10 for that one board. Although with the AM100, the end product is similar in performance, I can tell you its not the same. In the end theyre all clippers/limiters with a diode clipping the different amounts of the signal. Have a look at most of the asymmetric modulation contraptions. I bet you'll find a diode somewhere in the path of the signal.

A friend has some hacked software for an old flex 1000. Flex can be set up for mars use but the company wouldn't give it to anyone without the proper credentials. It can be done but they make it as difficult as possible.

Not speaking from experience but I have looked into building one for the lower bands. I think it gets harder to make the amplifier stable at higher frequencies.

It wouldn't be as efficient but I have thought about the possibilities of doing this with a class C CB amp.
I have the SDR1000 , I had to play with the software but its opened for 11 meters. I also put together a 1500 for a buddy that was opened for 11 meters and it was not the MARS mod. A Flex 1500 and a Mauldulator sounds pretty damn good. The Apache Labs ANAN series loosely took the base software from the SDR1000 platform. Sami and Ahti Aintila developed the USB interface for Flex and later took their talents and built the Hermes/ANAN 10 and its successors. The version of PowerSDR that they use is opened with a few clicks for 11 meters. Doughboy out of FL has one and sounds pretty damn good too.

Not open source. I couldnt even begin to even know how to download an open source file. I taught myself how to make a board and had it made. Thats the part where people dont get. We want something for nothing. Nothing against you but it may have cost 10-15 dollars for just the board, maybe even cheaper. Then you factor time it took to develop the board , have it built. Some board houses charge for a setup fee, time it takes to build the sheet of boards . Youre looking at up to a month or more, what cost $10 a board had to come out of a $300 sheet of boards and up to over a month of wait time if not more. So I know it seems like crap but there is more to it then just what you see. Give it to Asymod for taking MMM design and running with it but it does cost more then $10 for that one board. Although with the AM100, the end product is similar in performance, I can tell you its not the same. In the end theyre all clippers/limiters with a diode clipping the different amounts of the signal. Have a look at most of the asymmetric modulation contraptions. I bet you'll find a diode somewhere in the path of the signal.
I agree it is a lot of hard work, I should have stopped to think about how involved the complete undertaking would be; instead I was focused on the cost of the handful of parts.

I will probably be the fifth or six person (or gazillionth) to "start from diagrams" and build yet another one of these modulator/clipper boards.. But If I want the results at the cheapest price, I'll have to do the "hard" work myself.

I appreciate the 100$ (or more) price tags these devices cost, only I would rather re-invent-the-wheel than pay that price. To each, his own. (y)

If you're going to start from diagrams, start a new one and make it better then what's out there. Most of the designs are similar . Maybe a new wheel is what you need, you have some pretty thoughtful videos, so maybe we'll see some Leapfrogulators on eBay soon.

Reactions: LeapFrog
If you're going to start from diagrams, start a new one and make it better then what's out there. Most of the designs are similar . Maybe a new wheel is what you need, you have some pretty thoughtful videos, so maybe we'll see some Leapfrogulators on eBay soon.
I appreciate the positive sentiment, part of me wants to see an
"Open Source Hardware" (Free plans) version available for download of these boards.

That would be a new direction for the DIY scene anyway, someone could etch out a board or (laser engrave) or use perf board and make one of these, kind of like how some designs in the 3D printing crowd are "open-source"; someone downloads the file (free) and they re-create (using the printer) the design.

The idea is that this helps bring free knowledge and powerful ideas to the hands of "the commoners", empowering people to become above average by sharing knowledge, not hiding it. I know this may seem counter-intuitive but what do you think? Should people always have to figure it out "the hard way"?

Also, having a huge repository of knowledge easily accessed, can literally save lifetimes worth of "re-discovery".. I find it odd that after the seemingly 1000 years it took to build some mega structures, we (modern society) do not have a complete understanding to why or how it was built.

All that being said, I'd probably end up selling just the un-populated boards online at a reasonable cost. (Something to give the DIY crowd a chance, in modern times) While having the plans/schematic freely available online.

Of course if, after a while I find that the pressure is too much, that I've earned too little; that I gained less than the community did, then maybe I'll go on to sell the complete boards at a "fair market value" while hiding the hard earned "ancient knowledge" and complete schematics away from the undeserving masses. <-- I would not want to get that discouraged (n)

I ask myself, do I want less bleed over and "loud" audio! Yes, then I ask myself am I trying to help fatten my wallet, or fatten the intellectual body of facts within the CB hobby. :cool:

I'm pretty sure there is no {complete} schematic released for something that would "drop in" to most AM only sets people use today.

I go as far as to say a company could develop and produce an AM only export radio with this style of circuit, and sell the complete unit at around $150. You would have to have the production/assembly lines already, but it could be done if a company had the bankroll.
That radio would become popular, over-night.
Of course this is just my opinion, but I hate when people hoard knowledge. On the other side of that coin, I respect the amount of time and energy devoted to creating a complete circuit that "just drops into" a radio.

Best Regards
-LeapFrog
sent using my tcp/ip Leapfrogulator

Last edited:
I appreciate the positive sentiment, part of me wants to see an
"Open Source Hardware" (Free plans) version available for download of these boards.

That would be a new direction for the DIY scene anyway, someone could etch out a board or (laser engrave) or use perf board and make one of these, kind of like how some designs in the 3D printing crowd are "open-source"; someone downloads the file (free) and they re-create (using the printer) the design.

The idea is that this helps bring free knowledge and powerful ideas to the hands of "the commoners", empowering people to become above average by sharing knowledge, not hiding it. I know this may seem counter-intuitive but what do you think? Should people always have to figure it out "the hard way"?

Also, having a huge repository of knowledge easily accessed, can literally save lifetimes worth of "re-discovery".. I find it odd that after the seemingly 1000 years it took to build some mega structures, we (modern society) do not have a complete understanding to why or how it was built.

All that being said, I'd probably end up selling just the un-populated boards online at a reasonable cost. (Something to give the DIY crowd a chance, in modern times) While having the plans/schematic freely available online.

Of course if, after a while I find that the pressure is too much, that I've earned too little; that I gained less than the community did, then maybe I'll go on to sell the complete boards at a "fair market value" while hiding the hard earned "ancient knowledge" and complete schematics away from the undeserving masses. <-- I would not want to get that discouraged (n)

I ask myself, do I want less bleed over and "loud" audio! Yes, then I ask myself am I trying to help fatten my wallet, or fatten the intellectual body of facts within the CB hobby. :cool:
I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you on this one. If all we do as whole in the hobby is copy , there will be no creation. To keep this hobby, whether it be ham or cb moving forward , there has to be innovation and new ideas. If everyone sounds the same or has the same product , what fun is that. We also don't learn if we're just copying. Parts of the DIY communities are involved in experimenting, trial and error. I am a "commoner" I don't know how these things work but I picked up a lot of books and read a lot of articles and I also bought boards to try to understand them, if all you want is an Asymod, Mauldulator or AM100 , buy one. If you want something that's free , go ask the makers. Through your private messages and your post here. It sounds like you're asking for free stuff. I may be wrong but if everything was given away or free, where would we be in this world?

I'm sorry but I will have to disagree with you on this one. If all we do as whole in the hobby is copy , there will be no creation. To keep this hobby, whether it be ham or cb moving forward , there has to be innovation and new ideas. If everyone sounds the same or has the same product , what fun is that. We also don't learn if we're just copying. Parts of the DIY communities are involved in experimenting, trial and error. If all you want is an Asymod, Mauldulator or AM100 , buy one. If you want something that's free , go ask the makers. Through your private messages and your post here. It sounds like you're asking for free stuff. I may be wrong but if everything was given away or free, where would we be in this world?
People who don't understand much about electronics, need a basic starting point..
A pre-produced board (because perf board can be hard to work with if they are noob)
A clear schematic
&
A concise run-down of the circuit.
For example a clear-goal like: "replace the modulation transformer with active components" and a way to get there, people would do that and then want to know how and why the circuit works..
They will naturally want to go on & modify the circuit, to get better/different results.. But that's hard to do when you don't know what parts are inside, or how it's traced out. So much for modifications and innovation, by improving what's already out there.

This type of crowd (the largest in the hobby) will never get into electronics if they buy pre-made "mods" all the time without understanding what the hell they are soldering into the radio, because some greedy a-hole sanded the #'s off the IC's, and when you email him he can't/won't tell you..

But if it was open-source... With clear instructions, and detailed explanations.
Eventually, they will become more proficient because you enabled them to gain a deeper understanding, (not in spite of it) something that cannot happen when they buy a "sanitized" complete product.

I would say most things have already been done and discovered, we are at the point in A.M. (as we use it) where people are re-discovering already learned things, and guess what they are copying, and copying, and copying.
Nothing is truly ground breaking anymore, the hobby DIY type is not going to discover some unknown trait (of RF) and become a Nobel peace prize winner. (But I hope we do)

I would argue that any serious advancement comes out of a laboratory with billions of dollars backing it; they are developing new semiconductors, not attempting to re-write the books that got them there..

Edit:
To be perfectly clear, yes I am looking for free knowledge. Something, someone took time to create and then [The Creator] decided to make the information freely available.
For this "clipper" beyond the AM-100, I don't think it's out there; I just want people to be able to get great audio (less bleed-over), & as cheap as possible.
And to be clear yet again, in the PM I offered to purchase a board/schematic (for personal use).

But now I feel like I owe the community something, I'm no-longer interested in "just a personal project", it will become documented/released.
(To the benefit of the hobby)

Looks like if I step up to the plate I'd be the first one to openly give away a (complete) schematic for this type of circuit that the average CB'er can understand and put into practice.
Too bad that after (if) the effort is exhausted, I'd likely be too stingy/tired/aggravated to release it publicly, after all why should I share the fruits of my labor with you? WWJD
I think he'd share his schematic with the world, but for the love of money...

What if I just took John's MMM 1st gen, and made that an open source project, would I be an evil guy? He released the (broken)schematic publicly, he for-warned that it'd be a theft of a theft to use the schematic, but what If I don't intend to make a dime; only to empower the common man?

Unlike 1 or 2 people selling a direct clone of his board (for $95 & up), I intend on helping people to become able-enough to make there own copy at home, for pennies on the dollar.

I must be a real scum-bag, 4-10?
Greed slows down the progress of a community, while the sharing of knowledge helps people to grow.
Even if that means people are copying something before understanding how/why it truly functions. I digress,
Eventually, they will become more proficient because you enabled them to gain a deeper understanding, (not in spite of it) something that cannot happen when they buy a "sanitized" complete product.
Best Regards.

P.S. Something. Something.@ 2:45 In the song "No excuses on da bowl" You can clearly hear Prime say: "Mr. U.S.A., he left a blueprint, we keep the flame alive, like this: NO EXCUSES on the bowl!" I wonder what he is talking about, hmm like those comp boxes aren't all copies from the Motorola and Toshiba tech documents.

I suppose we are all a bunch of copy-cats, trying to "do it better".
I propose we do better and help each other splatter less, not seek dollar signs.

~Rant Mode OFF~

Last edited:
People who don't understand much about electronics, need a basic starting point..
A pre-produced board (because perf board can be hard to work with if they are noob)
A clear schematic
&
A concise run-down of the circuit.
For example a clear-goal like: "replace the modulation transformer with active components" and a way to get there, people would do that and then want to know how and why the circuit works..
They will naturally want to go on & modify the circuit, to get better/different results.. But that's hard to do when you don't know what parts are inside, or how it's traced out. So much for modifications and innovation, by improving what's already out there.

This type of crowd (the largest in the hobby) will never get into electronics if they buy pre-made "mods" all the time without understanding what the hell they are soldering into the radio, because some greedy a-hole sanded the #'s off the IC's, and when you email him he can't/won't tell you..

But if it was open-source... With clear instructions, and detailed explanations.

I would say most things have already been done and discovered, we are at the point in A.M. (as we use it) where people are re-discovering already learned things, and guess what they are copying, and copying, and copying.
Nothing is truly ground breaking anymore, the hobby DIY type is not going to discover some unknown trait (of RF) and become a Nobel peace prize winner. (But I hope we do)

I would argue that any serious advancement comes out of a laboratory with billions of dollars backing it; they are developing new semiconductors, not attempting to re-write the books that got them there..

Edit:
To be perfectly clear, yes I am looking for free knowledge. Something, someone took time to create and then [The Creator] decided to make the information freely available.
For this "clipper" beyond the AM-100, I don't think it's out there; I just want people to be able to get great audio (less bleed-over), & as cheap as possible.
And to be clear yet again, in the PM I offered to purchase a board/schematic (for personal use).

But now I feel like I owe the community something, I'm no-longer interested in "just a personal project", it will become documented/released.
(To the benefit of the hobby)

Looks like if I step up to the plate I'd be the first one to openly give away a (complete) schematic for this type of circuit that the average CB'er can understand and put into practice.
Too bad that after (if) the effort is exhausted, I'd likely be too stingy/tired/aggravated to release it publicly, after all why should I share the fruits of my labor with you? WWJD
I think he'd share his schematic with the world, but for the love of money...

What if I just took John's MMM 1st gen, and made that an open source project, would I be an evil guy? He released the (broken)schematic publicly, he for-warned that it'd be a theft of a theft to use the schematic, but what If I don't intend to make a dime; only to empower the common man?

Unlike 1 or 2 people selling a direct clone of his board (for $95 & up), I intend on helping people to become able-enough to make there own copy at home, for pennies on the dollar.

I must be a real scum-bag, 4-10?
Greed slows down the progress of a community, while the sharing of knowledge helps people to grow.
Even if that means people are copying something before understanding how/why it truly functions. I digress,
Best Regards.

P.S. Something. Something.@ 2:45 In the song "No excuses on da bowl" You can clearly hear Prime say: "Mr. U.S.A., he left a blueprint, we keep the flame alive, like this: NO EXCUSES on the bowl!" I wonder what he is talking about, hmm like those comp boxes aren't all copies from the Motorola and Toshiba tech documents.

I suppose we are all a bunch of copy-cats, trying to "do it better".
I propose we do better and help each other splatter less, not seek dollar signs.

~Rant Mode OFF~

I tell you what Leapfrog , if I had a dollar for every time I've heard your last post , I'd be rich. Over the years , many and many people like yourself have said the same thing, if they do become successful, they do not make it "open source" as you say. They kick and scream until they get what they want from those fortunate to be generous and give you a schematic , next thing you know , their the next know it all, shit don't stink and won't "open source" their product. While your intentions seem genuine now, I can only predict what will come next. I've seen folks like you come through before. You asked me about the AM100 kit and I told you the kit was available for $100 , you didn't want to spend that , you just wanted the board. That AM100 is a very good kit and back in the day it went for a lot more. I hope you success in your endeavors and hope you achieve your goals of "open source" but I might ask you to not private message me as I do not think I will be of much help to you. Have a great day.

I tell you what Leapfrog , if I had a dollar for every time I've heard your last post , I'd be rich. Over the years , many and many people like yourself have said the same thing, if they do become successful, they do not make it "open source" as you say. They kick and scream until they get what they want from those fortunate to be generous and give you a schematic , next thing you know , their the next know it all, shit don't stink and won't "open source" their product. While your intentions seem genuine now, I can only predict what will come next. I've seen folks like you come through before. You asked me about the AM100 kit and I told you the kit was available for $100 , you didn't want to spend that , you just wanted thee board. That AM100 is a very good kit and back in the day it went for a lot more. I hope you success in your endeavors and hope you achieve your goals of "open source" but I might ask you to not private message me as I do not think I will be of much help to you. Have a great day.
Thank You 711, the kit would have helped me on my endeavor of building a clipper board, maybe I could put a DDS on the AM-100, instead of using the "old school" setup, that would be a little more modern and an "upgrade" or improvement on the older design.

Anyway I thank you for your kind words, and truth be told If I had a full time job (or steady employment) I would buy the kit like yesterday. (y)
But right now I don't have any money coming in, and I don't get any kind of check/stamps from the govt. so I'm cutting lawns, lmao.

~I agree w/ you about people starting off with good intentions, only to never publicly release the project. Or that some people run off with the design and get hot headed while riding on the coattails of others.~

Anyway I won't be PM'ing you again; I'm too cheap and don't want to waste anyone's time.
I probably messed up a good opportunity to find an AM-100 kit by asking about schematics and blank boards.. But at the end of the day. :ROFLMAO:
At least people can reference the Panaxis AM-100 PDF and find the clipper in the data.

My apologies to TooTall170 for "hi-jacking the thread".
Thanks again all, 73.
-Leapfrog

Last edited:
Lawn service is much more respectable than being in the CB business. An honest days work for an honest days pay.

People that don't understand this stuff need a regular old radio and CB mic of their choice. If they want it they need to hit the books. It's great to help someone out but you can easily overestimate their ability and set them up for failure. They need an understanding of how the stuff works. The amp, the radio, the antenna....all of it.

They will have more problems and blow up a lot more shit than you can imagine. Ever get RF into your audio gear and spend all night tracking it down? I know I have. It's hard enough to do yourself, now try to help someone that's frustrated and clueless do it over the phone. If they had learned the basics and progressed to something more elaborate they would be better for it. If they buy a bunch of stuff they can't troubleshoot they will end up pissed and broke.

Ugggg I just did yard work all day today. I should post a Youtube video of me tapping on my volted Ryobi hedge trimmer while talking about how great I am!!!!

Ha just kidding used my Stihl chainsaw as a hedge trimmer!

I Like your enthusiasms LeapFrog, you want to learn and soak it all in. Not all people are like you, I agree with 711 most want to take the shortcut and not put in the needed hard work. With that said I would love to see more radio kits like radio shack and Heathkit did back in the day!

Ugggg I just did yard work all day today. I should post a Youtube video of me tapping on my volted Ryobi hedge trimmer while talking about how great I am!!!!

Ha just kidding used my Stihl chainsaw as a hedge trimmer!
You can do that as log it's been punched out and ported/polished, I wouldn't try it with a stock chainsaw, lol!

Thank you JoeDirt, yes I agree we need more radio kits like radio shack and Heathkit back in the hobby. The amateur radio crowd seems to have some DIY kits available, I feel like CB would benefit more if we had some DIY things geared towards beginners, or something to get them excited about learning. After-all the documentation for ham kits likely won't mention a Cobra CB.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.