• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need to buy a HT

sir. witchback

Pied Piper
Sep 26, 2009
WV USA
I have built a few repeaters over the years, and am thinking of putting one in my house to link up with a HT while out and around. My wife and I use the radio as a "fee cell phone" if you will.. We TX on FM 27.885.0 kc/s as a primary. My base is a RCI 2950DX and my mobile is a Galaxy 95T, and a RCI 2950DX. With the RCI's I have off-set for repeaters. I would like to find a AM/FM HT that also has off-Set's for accessing my repeater. I spend most of my time outside, and would like to have a radio with me. Any info that leads me to find a HT would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think you're going to find an HT that works on those frequencies. There used to be a a couoplearound that worked on extended 11 meters, but they didn't have the ability to do offsets as I recall. The Cherokee AH-100 comes to mind, but they're not made anymore.

It would be a lot easier to just use 2 meters or 440Mhz on the ham bands. If you can put together a 11m repeater, you can surely pass the test for the tech license. There is a ton of equipment. If you don't want to do that, put up a GMRS repeater. The handheld radios are cheap and found at every WalMart. To get the GMRS license, you don't even have to take a test...just mail in the paperwork with the fee...pretty simple.

I don't think you're going to find an HT that works on those frequencies. There used to be a a couoplearound that worked on extended 11 meters, but they didn't have the ability to do offsets as I recall. The Cherokee AH-100 comes to mind, but they're not made anymore.

It would be a lot easier to just use 2 meters or 440Mhz on the ham bands. If you can put together a 11m repeater, you can surely pass the test for the tech license. There is a ton of equipment. If you don't want to do that, put up a GMRS repeater. The handheld radios are cheap and found at every WalMart. To get the GMRS license, you don't even have to take a test...just mail in the paperwork with the fee...pretty simple.

I have been looking around for:
Cherokee AH-100 AM/SSB(discontinued when FCC "pulled ticket")
Titan RPSY-201 AM/FM/SSB
Magnum SSB-1010 AM/FM/SSB(dealer claims 15w P.E.P. Am)
Intek SS-201 AM/FM/SSB
Dragon SS-201 AM/FM/SSB
Dragon AH-100 AM/FM/SSB
Albrecht AE201 S AM/FM/SSB

But havent been able to find one. I would like to get a better radio anyways, then any of those. I did pass Eliment 2 back around 1993 or so.. But failed 3a. I know you only need El2 to have your tec now, but I realy dont want to waist my time with it. First off, the ham's around here are morons that just cramed to pass there test. And I dont have much use to even speak with them. And my wife will not try to learn to take the test to use 2m. I cant stand CB eather, so I just keep my gear set off band.

Use GMRS then. There's nobody there, you don't have to pass a test for the license, and the fee for the license is good for your entire family. Plus, it's legal to put up gain antennas and repeaters.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.