• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

need to replace coax wilson 1000

sandpiperx

Jan 15, 2010
Denton, Texas USA
I need to replace the coax on a Wilson 1000 mag mount.. Cut the line and it is toast. From what I see here I pretty much just need to solder in a new coax..

Is there a certain length that Wilson requires. 18ft? Please Advise and have a great day.. Markip :blink:

i have replaced the coax on a wilson 1000 before and its not that hard at all, but you will need to use a good quality soldering iron. those 30 watt jobs from rad shak wont heat the braid and that brass ferrule enough.

i used LMR240 and would recommend that to anyone thinking of doing this.

its double shielded, and in my install, it made a noticeable difference in the noise pickup from the vehicle.

oh, and the length did not seem to matter. the length of coax i used was about 11 feet long.
no ill effects noticed.

just my experience,
LC

thank you good people ( i assuming LOL) for the info.. I just ordered 20" of the lmr 240 with a Pl 259 on one end the other end open coax. I have all the correct solder gear just wanted to know the best route for this type of mobile. I have already taken it5 apart and was a little surprised at how easy the reconnect will be.. Life is good .. thanks again.

Markp

i have replaced the coax on a wilson 1000 before and its not that hard at all, but you will need to use a good quality soldering iron. those 30 watt jobs from rad shak wont heat the braid and that brass ferrule enough.

i used LMR240 and would recommend that to anyone thinking of doing this.

its double shielded, and in my install, it made a noticeable difference in the noise pickup from the vehicle.

oh, and the length did not seem to matter. the length of coax i used was about 11 feet long.
no ill effects noticed.

just my experience,
LC

Did the same thing with a Wilson 5000.......that LMR 240 Ultra flex is great up to 1200 real watts. I had to replace the stick on mylar paint protector too.
Worked great until some A Hole cut the coax and stole it. Florida is a dumping ground for the thieving transplanted New York ghetto dwellers.

Did the same thing with a Wilson 5000.......that LMR 240 Ultra flex is great up to 1200 real watts. I had to replace the stick on mylar paint protector too.
Worked great until some A Hole cut the coax and stole it. Florida is a dumping ground for the thieving transplanted New York ghetto dwellers.
When you say REAL watts are you saying the watts you get from a heathkit or Tokyo high power and not the watts you get from a DAVEMADE clone>?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    BLACKOUT HF
  • @ BJ radionut:
    I am beginning the packing process...XENIA bound Going "Lite": this year....2 items for sale...Rig #1 = FT-920/Gud to Ex condition/Hand Mike/pwr cord/manual (NO BOX) ... #2 = My 1 owner FT-950....EX condition...Original Shipping Double Box/Factory Manual/Never used hand mike...Booths 9107-9111...Ya'al come by say hello...
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Incoming Region Produces X3 Solar Flare
    May 15, 2024 @ 14:55 UTC
    Another major solar flare, but this time from an active region just beginning to turn into view off the east limb. It is possible that the group responsible is old AR 3654 from the previous rotation. The latest flare, an X2.99 event just peaked at 14:38 UTC (May 15). Stay tuned