• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New 2150....unknown mods?

Oct 24, 2008
New 2510....10volts out of IC312 should be 5v

I just got a 2150... it's broken and I already knew that when I got it. It has display problems but does still TX. I am looking in to the display..

My problem in IC312 has/had a diode from the center pin to ground... it sorta fell off(really bad soldering). The center pin is has also been "lifted" from the board. No 11meter mod that I can tell.. still a complete trace to pins 34/35 on the IC.

**update** I replaced that IC312(7805 voltage reg) and hooked it up the way it should be, no mystery diode. I am getting 10 volts out of that 5 volt regulator(IC312). And the display is still showing 8's.

It does Rx and does draw current when it's keyed. The stupid expoxy was hard to get off but there is still some under the big IC. I can not see a way to get it all off with out removing that chip.

Thanks

Last edited:

You might just send it to Rogerbird and let him restore it to glory. Rogerbird and Doc are the best two I know of for 2510's. You did mean 2510 correct?

Hello

The center pin on the regulators is usually ground. If you are getting 10v out of a 5v reg, some thing is not right, check the caps across the input an output on the regulator. they can go bad and produce noise, oscillation if you will. and appear to be higher voltages. (still not good).ALso, make sure ground is ground.

Check the Regulator, the input pin (left most) to the center pin or tab. [Tab is ground - /and left pin positive +] should be 13v. then check the tab(-) to right most pin (+), should be 5v on the the 5v reg, and do the same to the 8v reg.

As for the grey epoxy on the top of the board, dont worry about it. the Grey epoxy on the bottom should come off if you run a heat gun on it, just enough to make it pliable. then it should just peel off.

The tan/yellow epoxy that turns brown or black should be removed, it can cause problems, like damaged traces or conductivity(shorts).

If you need more help, email me, (I will check my junk email more often) ..

Roger

Ok Rogerbird... I sent you an email from my hotmail account. All sorts of problems with this thing. It may become a for sale parts radio VERY soon.

Thanks

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.