• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

you are not alone with the bad gainmaster experience,
i have not seen it myself, all locals that have switched to a gainmaster on the same pole improved tx&rx signal and receive less noise, the usual antennas they replace are a99 imax sirio827,
the gainmaster i tested here on a short pole ( not in a field ) was a little behind my i10k but nothing to shout about,

on the other hand there are video's of gainmasters showing little if any improvement over an a99,
i may not have got the best from the gainmaster myself but it outperformed my imax.

Reactions: 1 person
BM, are you saying this to MOGVZ or to Needle Bender? :confused:

Looks like it was NB that was talking about results on his radio's meter. His report reminds me of one from your most favorite Merlin buddies on the Internet. :unsure:

either one , it explains what NB saw .

bob85's video may show the missing secret methods that resulted in the merlin reportedly having 15 s-units (or more) gain than all the other omni antennas tested .

I read this below quote on another forum. I thought it an interesting observation regarding height differences on S-units.

1. Same antenna type, same coax type and length, different heights.

Thoughts:

a. Is one antenna less well crafted?
b. Is the location of each tower given such heights above ground that influential over results?
c. Is the switch more friendly to port #1 than port #2?
d. Is the operator imagining things?
e. Is the operator reporting such a difference between heights because he wants to sell Gainmasters that are mounted on taller masts instead of Gainmasters that are on lower masts?
f. Does that difference in height matter that much over an area of ground I will imagine is the same given coax length?

Well our 2nd Sirio Gain Master arrived last night. We removed our Hy Gain Penetrator 500 and mounted our new Sirio GainMaster with top of antenna @ 52 ft feed with 75 ft of RG 213U coax .
We feed our other GM with 75 ft of RG 213U and mounted it to our small tower with top of antenna @ 87 ft.
The skip was rolling tonight and signals were
shocked.png
1 - 1.5 s units stronger on the taller antenna 100 % of the time.
So the wording HEIGHT IS MIGHT is true at least tonight ......
w00t.png

My next antenna experiment with the GM will be phasing 2 GM together with a HY GAIN Co Phaser switch box ....
cheerful.png

my gainmaster came today, got it up and running. i am hearing stations i have never hear before, even make a contact in hawaii, and this antanna is way quieter on the static than my 102 whip

HomerBB,
Just off hand, wonder where that 12 foot difference in height of the top of the antenna came from with the same length of feed line feeding it? Is that GM 12 foot longer than the other antenna? If so, it definitely means a different -kind- of antenna. :) Right?
- 'Doc

(or maybe 'they' just goofed when typing in the post?)

" ............... mounted our new Sirio GainMaster with top of antenna @ 52 ft ......

...... We feed our other GM with 75 ft of RG 213U and mounted it to our small tower with top of antenna @ 87 ft. ....... "

there was a 35 ft tip difference to get the "1 - 1.5 s units stronger on the taller antenna 100 % of the time."

almost a full wavelength .

The Gainmaster is a definitely fickle antenna with regard to near-field obstructions.
I have two Gainmasters up right now, one at 55' IN a tree,
(only the top 9' is above the tree, and yes I still paid the turkey who put it up wrong :glare:)
fed with 100' of 1/2 hardline, the other is at 42' and above the roof, a good 50' away from any relevant obstructions, and fed with 75' of LMR400.
The one on the roof is all-around outperforming the one IN the tree by about 1-1.5 s units, and in all directions. :sad:
I need to raise the Gainmaster in the tree up about 14 more feet and trim the tree a bit, and will report back any performance improvement when I have.
I'm expecting good things. :drool:

HomerBB,
Just off hand, wonder where that 12 foot difference in height of the top of the antenna came from with the same length of feed line feeding it? Is that GM 12 foot longer than the other antenna? If so, it definitely means a different -kind- of antenna. :) Right?
- 'Doc

(or maybe 'they' just goofed when typing in the post?)
I missed this one, Doc, but I suppose one of their twers could be closer to the shack than the other ? ? ?

Hey guys, managed to get about ~60 pages into the thread before I called it quits :redface:

Anyway, I'm looking to setup a base station here and need advice on an antenna. I don't have much room to work with, not much open area on our lot, mostly house, and the neighbors would not take too kindly to me throwing up a tower. As such, any antenna I put up would get maybe 5~10ft off the ground, and would be within 1 wavelength of the house (with metal gutters). As I understand, the Gainmaster is a great antenna, if you can give it plenty of room. Would it still be worthwhile given the space constraints, or are there other antennas that would perhaps work better?

Aloha,
Trevor, 304 in Honolulu, HI

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.