• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New antenna from Sirio Gain-Master

Nothing in the human experience is 100% or we don't get close to it. Those are the imperfections of life. I have no doubt that your experiences were what you saw, but when I see my meter tell me one minute the GM is an Sunit better and clearer audio, and in the next minute the AstroPlane, or the A99, of the I-10K is better, how do we explain that? If you can do that then you should be doing the testing.

Probably only one way to describe that Marconi, something I just learned recently .... :)

Quantum Physics "conscious observer" do yourself a favor and take the time to watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPeprQ7oGc

eddie i can't fault your thinking, we can only report what we see in our tests, i have a buddy over there comparing his starduster to his new vector right now, he sees significant advantage to the vector just like we do here,
the only difference i can think of is your very good ground conductivity,

i would have no hesitation taking 007's bet on ANY 5/8 .64wave with my sigma in this area, the 5/8 has no chance at all against a correctly tuned sigma style antenna here and never has in 30 years of testing,

or maybe its the quantum world playing tricks on us all,

YouTube - Robert Anton Wilson explains Quantum Physics

Now Bob, don't get me started on the Starduster. Your buddy has to be doing something wrong. Give him my email address and I'll set him straight fast.

I'm not too big on comparing DX reports, but to bad 4040 lost that video the other day when I was switching antennas with my GM/AstroPlane, or maybe we could have seen some evidence of my other claim I'm known to make...about my all-time favorite antenna. Be sure and give us a report with some evidence of work and not just words please. Bob, that one is testing the extremes in design and how we do it will be important to understand...me thinks. :pop:

You know I agree with you about the soil condition idea. I can't even imagine anything besting the Sigma4 design based on my experiences in testing and modeling...although imperfect as the efforts are. I'm not even sure about the GM on that score...at my location. If we play with stuff enough it is human nature to tend to gain some understanding of the affects and trend relationships we see...even when we don't have the real answers.

BTW Bob, I haven't started using the 11 meter beacon I found the other night, comparing my antenna responses yet. So far in observing, it may make that difference that I seldom saw comparing with voice. But, even that doesn't show me 100%. I still see opposite responses very often.

Last edited:
lol, im sorry i said the s word eddie,
i don't doubt your results and yes of course how the test is done effects the results, so do things that you could not imagine in your wildest dreams, unfortunately i don't have any details about how the test is been conducted,
what you claim about your duster vs some of your antennas is inline with what w8ji says about the situation too,

testing in dx is very difficult but you can get an idea of trends, my hybrid talks better long range skip while the i10k is great on shorter high angle skip, it would have been cool to hear you switch antennas in dx to my "duck" of the bay buddy 4040 but he messed it up :oops:

if a beacon appeared on the band here the foxhunting crew would track it down, it would drive us nuts not knowing where it was comming from,

as for one antenna been in front one minute and another the next id say it has to be the ionosphere or something in the sky,
we are also seeing variable conditions after years of rock stable fm signals, fluttering multipath type effects on a regular basis its most notable when talking to the guy using the gainmaster who is the most distant of our local net,

you should see what happens between me and my buddy the other side of this hill when a plane comming in to land at leeds/bradford flys over,
i get the multipath flutter that has his noisy s-4 start swaying faster and faster up to s-8 and sometimes more with full quieting,
then the flutter slows back down signal drops untill the plane gets over near me and it starts again, how high they are also effects what we see on the radio,

years ago british post office engineeers and engineers in other countrys had also observed interference to signals when planes flew near their receivers,
fortunately for us a scotsman, sir robert watson watt led a team in the race to make use of the effect, the rest is radar history,

what do you have on your radar eddie;)

Now Bob, don't get me started on the Starduster. Your buddy has to be doing something wrong. Give him my email address and I'll set him straight fast.

I'm not too big on comparing DX reports, but to bad 4040 lost that video the other day when I was switching antennas with my GM/AstroPlane, or maybe we could have seen some evidence of my other claim I'm known to make...about my all-time favorite antenna. Be sure and give us a report with some evidence of work and not just words please. That one is testing the extremes in design and how we do it will be important to understand...me thinks. :pop:

You know I agree with you about the soil condition idea. I can't even imagine anything besting the Sigma4 design based on my experiences in testing and modeling...although imperfect as the efforts are. I'm not even sure about the GM on that score...at my location. If we play with stuff enough it is human nature to tend to gain some understanding of the affects and trend relationships we see...even when we don't have the real answers.

BTW Bob, I haven't started using the 11 meter beacon I found the other night, comparing my antenna responses yet. So far in observing, it may make that difference that I seldom saw comparing with voice. But, even that doesn't show me 100%. I still see opposite responses very often.

Yes it is true Eddie, the Vector smokes the starduster hands down and the Vector isnt tuned for max anything yet. Bob confirmed this by his ear last night guys on star duster went unheard,switched to Vector they jumped up like Jack in the Box. Now I havent gone to the effort of same length coax etc and i havent eliminated all the variables because i have a foot of snow on the ground. Neither antenna is terribly high of the ground, when I do a comparison test it will be on rx with a high resolution device to check difference in signal, a S meter alone doesnt cut it for me when comparing antennas Calibrated test equipment does, this isnt knocking your way of testing I just try to eliminate what I can on my end so the results are more repeatable for me at a later date.

Last edited:
Probably only one way to describe that Marconi, something I just learned recently .... :)

Quantum Physics "conscious observer" do yourself a favor and take the time to watch this

YouTube - Dr Quantum - Double Slit Experiment

Yea Jesse (Suburban), Bob85 introduced me to some similar videos about QP a while back. We talked about how the experiments being done seemed to just magically change results as soon as the experimenter's tried to watch too closely. It was beyond my understanding however.

Back in the 50' when I was in college I had a chance to take a short course and studied James Clerk Maxwell's work. I didn't understand that either, so I changed my study plan to a classic study...the study for the anatomy in human elimination...belive it or not.

fortunately for us a scotsman, sir robert watson watt led a team in the race to make use of the effect, the rest is radar history,

what do you have on your radar eddie;)

what would you guys do without us Scots, f@ck if it wasn't for us the luftwaffe would have had a field day flattening engerland. Makes me think Robert Watson Watt should be tried for treason for aiding the enemies of our country, namely those smarmy assed sassenach's. Treacherous heaven.

its no surprise you couldn't understand james clerk maxwell Eddie, us scots are far smarter than your average bear, englishman or yankee doodle dandy.:D

what would you guys do without us Scots, f@ck if it wasn't for us the luftwaffe would have had a field day flattening engerland. Makes me think Robert Watson Watt should be tried for treason for aiding the enemies of our country, namely those smarmy assed sassenach's. Treacherous heaven.

its no surprise you couldn't understand james clerk maxwell Eddie, us scots are far smarter than your average bear, englishman or yankee doodle dandy.:D

jazzsinger.gif

Yet another way to repackage a "Big Stick".

If skip is in and you hear my neighbor on his new Sirio Gain Master (which he replaced his Big stick with about 2 weeks ago) you can ask him if there's no difference, he goes by Bad Apple on Ch17 or World Radio 432 on Ch L38.

I've heard him say Rich has gone from an almost inaudible S-1 to a crystal-clear S-5, but he also changed coax from 213 to LMR400 so that's got to be good for at least one S-unit of it.

If skip is in and you hear my neighbor on his new Sirio Gain Master (which he replaced his Big stick with about 2 weeks ago) you can ask him if there's no difference, he goes by Bad Apple on Ch17 or World Radio 432 on Ch L38.

I've heard him say Rich has gone from an almost inaudible S-1 to a crystal-clear S-5, but he also changed coax from 213 to LMR400 so that's got to be good for at least one S-unit of it.

Hey Scott, is the guy you mentioned above Tim by chance? If so, the other day I was talking to 4040 in the Bay area about the Gain Master and videos and Tim broke over 4040 Scott and said he had a new GM. After finishing with 4040, I called for Tim and we talked a bit. I think he said he knew you, but he could have been talking about Robb, I just don't recall. I do remember him saying you had been over a few times and you both had a GM's, so maybe he was referring to you.

I had a notion today to put up my Imax, before I take my GM down from my old mount out back, but it rained all day. Maybe tomorrow. I sure would like to compare another 5/8 wave to it before I quite comparing two at a time. I would like to compare the noise issue, and the gain from an antenna that doesn't require much tuning. I had my I-10K up with the GM and it didn't do to well. The match was OK, but I didn't spend any time on it trying to get it near perfect. I don't hold to the opinion that being off a little or needing the match to be perfect really makes a big difference, but just to be fair.

I sure would like to see you do more testing of the coax idea you presented above rather than a dubious claim. I'm thinking about new coax, but if it doesn't really make a difference, then why bother. I would think, you of all persons, would probably have the best and latest feed line available at all times, especially with a new antenna and all the testing you do. Is that...the pot callin' the kettle black or what?

BTW, I do try to test my feed lines using a dummy load for thru-put each time I bring it down, and it has never failed me no matter the years so far.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.