• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

new antenna installed and getting alot of noise

radioman24

Jul 19, 2009
I installed my new sirio vector 4000 today, and for some reason I am getting 9lbs of noise so I went outside and watered down the push up pole where it goes into the ground along with the ground rod and it went away for a while, I left for like 3 maybe 4 hours, came home turned the radio on and the dam noise is back, I even turned off many thing's in the house thinking it was the issue like the a/c unit, pool pump than turned off breakers and still the noise is there

what can I do to make it stop?? I have the copper ground wire going from the ground rod up to the antenna mast

what else can I do??

Take a little a.m. Radio or your vehicle, tune the radio to a clear but open channel. You might hear the same interference and be able to track it down. That is if it is some kind of outside interference.
Good luck

If you 'watered' that pole and the noise stopped then it sounds like your 'ground' isn't very good, doesn't it. So it would seem like making that 'ground' better would be a good idea.
- 'Doc

The pros will be here shortly to help you get your learn on! In the mean time I'd set my hose next to the ground rod and let it drip so as too help with your noise till you get her strapped!
Have fun!

First - with the radio on and the noise present, disconnect the antenna from the radio. Note whether the noise is still present or not. Then reconnect.

IF the noise is still present with the antenna disconnected, the noise is coming in via the power leads. If the noise stops, it's obviously coming in via the antenna/feedline.

Next - bring a battery into the radio room and connect the radio to it. You're just going to be listening so the battery doesn't have to be a huge one. A motorcycle or lawnmower battery would be fine for this purpose. NOW, with the radio turned on and the noise present, open the house's main circuit breaker. If the noise disappears, turn the main back on and start opening individual breakers, one at a time, to identify the circuit that's making noise. Then, start unplugging everything that's powered by that breaker.

If this old technique doesn't identify the problem (i.e. you have the main breaker open and the noise is still present), then you'll need to check for noisy street lights, neon signs within an amazingly wide radius --

Oh, and you'll need to reset a bunch of clocks, most likely.

Reactions: 3 people
thank you beetle I did that with the unhooking the coax and the noise goes away, I can not run the radio off 12 volts because it is a base rig plug into the wall,lol

Good info Bettle.... I bought a bran new galaxy Saturn when they first came out. New setup and nothing but noise, It came from the power lines. I used the transistor am radio trick and it was real bad under the power lines. I called the power company and told them about the problem. They sent a guy out with a box with this cool antenna (HAND HELD) and a set of headphones. I saw him and asked what was he up to. He let me check this thing out and kicked the guide wire on the pole an it sounded like a lightning storm. WOW! three days later after the pole trucks and lines man replaced a ton of obsolete insulators I could hear a pin drop. Then the solar cycle started and nothing but noise and skip again. The repairs were very expensive, Thousands of dollars. all paid by the customers of the electric company. The moral of the story....If you think it could be the electric company call them. But check everything else you can first. I think you can still buy a cheap am radio or might have one around the house that takes batterys. Good luck

Reactions: 1 person
thank you beetle I did that with the unhooking the coax and the noise goes away, I can not run the radio off 12 volts because it is a base rig plug into the wall,lol

In that case, I'd try the small portable AM receiver like IRock suggested in the first reply to your post. Start at the rig and find out where the noise is the loudest. It almost seems like the rig's power supply might have some considerable problems.

first off, the method Beetle posted is the way to find out if there is interference coming from inside your home.

my guess is that the interference is coming from an outside source.

first question, have you had a base station antenna up at this location previously?

how long ago?

what were the differences in the two antenna setups?

second question, does this interference seem stronger on some channels than others?

third, is there EVER a time when the interference is not there?
i know you said that watering your ground system eliminated the interference for a short while.
is there any chance that it was just a coincidence and the noise just happened to be gone when you tested the radio?

most likely, your interference is coming from one of your neighbors' houses.
wireless mouses, wireless keyboards, bug zappers, faulty wall wart adapters, and touch lamps are all well known causes of interference.

it could also be a transformer on a power line is faulty and causing the interference.

i used to get horrible interference, but noticed that it went away after about 11pm.

turns out it was the outback steakhouse up the street and their paging system for letting you know when your table was ready.

let us know what you find,
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.