• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Anytone AT-588UV VHF/UHF Mobile

Moleculo

Ham Radio Nerd
Apr 14, 2002
A new Chinese VHF/UHF mobile, the Anytone AT-588UV is now starting to see limited availability:

AT-588UVx675px.jpg

The feature set looks interesting:

• Receive Range
    • FM: 134-174, 200-260, 350-400, 400-520 MHz & FM Broadcast
    • AM: 118-134 MHz (Air Band)
  • Transmit Range (FM): 134-174, 400-490 MHz
  • Output Power: 50, 35, 10 & 5 Watts
  • Bandwidth:
    • Wide: 25 kHz
    • Narrow: 12.5 kHz
  • Tuning Step: 2.5, 5, 6.25, 10, 12.5, 15, 20, 25 & 50 kHz
  • True Dual Receive: Rwo signals at the same time or second side can be muted while transmitting
  • Tuning Knobs and Volume Control on each VFO
  • Separate Function Buttons, each side
  • Dual VFO with V/U, U/V, U/U, V/V support
  • Cross-Band Repeat
  • 4 x 256 Memory Channels
  • CTCSS, DCS, DTMF, ANI, PTT ID, 2Tone/5Tone Encode & Decode
  • Voice Scramble
  • DTMF Microphone
  • Detachable Control Head with CAT5 separation cable
  • Computer Programmable
  • FCC Part 90 Certified
On the scree, you can see 9600 indicators, which means it probably has an data interface for external TNCs

Import Communications lists the price at $275 with shipping starting mid-October. If you want to order now, you can find some available now from the Chinese retailers. I have one on order and will post a full review when it arrives!

Reactions: 6 people

the Anytone AT-588UV is now starting to see limited availability
Thanks for posting; it is indeed very interesting. About the features:

• Detachable Control Head with CAT5 separation cable
    Good to see that. In other web sites I had seen speculation that it would not be detachable.
  • Cross-Band Repeat
    Another feature I wanted. At Import Communications, which you reference, they add "that works!". I wonder if that means auto-id and timeout.

So it has most of the bullet-item features I want on a dual-band mobile. Oh, except built-in TNC, which is too often not done right, even when included. (it does list "Computer Programmable," but I see no evidence of what interface it uses.)

Looking forward to detailed specs and reviews.

That looks like a very interesting radio indeed. I'm wondering if those knobs on upper deck on each side are in fact squelch knobs so you dont have to hunt in the menu for the squelch. That is a plus if they are.

I think with 9600 on it, there will be options for data. I'm not a data guy but its nice for anyone who is. What I like the most so far in all the dual band rigs I have seen is the Kenwood TM V71A, mainly because for me as a cross band lover, the Kenwood has an auto Id'er, and the neatest feature to me on the Kenwood is you can remote control it when you do cross band. You can be outdoors and change the frequency, the power levels, memory channels, turn it off or on etc, all from your remote HT.

I was hoping the Chinese would pick up on this feature as it would really be a big seller with many hams here to do a lot of remoting and cross banding. I do the half duplexing cross band, where I can hear the repeater with my HT, and its really nice being able to be outdoors in the yard or in the living room relaxing and be able to have a QSO on 1 watt or less from the comfort of my easy chair for those days that Im not in my radio room, and if I am, and I want to change to another repeater, I can punch it in from the HT and don't have to manually change the base radio. Thats neat to me..

However having said that, at the right price and if the reviews on this rig come up positive I'd buy one just to keep in my car, I like the looks and I would also hope you can change display color like you can with most of the Chinese mobile rigs. Thank you for posting this one, I had not seen it before and it looks promising. I like the 4 power levels as well.

Thanks again.... I'd like to dig up more info on this one...

Also in the Netherlands we are very curious about this radio, because its low price.
The 588U and 588V are available in the Netherlands for just 125 Euro.

I miss read the specs list, it says " Tuning knob and vol knob on each VFO" that tells me it has a knob to tune, and a knob for volume. My guess it the squelch control might be in a menu, and I would hope not...

I see a button on the top left, it says TV/SQL I think, and maybe you push that then turn the knob for Squelch then press it again to return the knob to tuning mode... does that seem possible? OR maybe you press that sql button and the squelch level appears on the display and you can adjust it without going into a menu... it's possible...

To adjust the squelch is very simple, press the SQL button and then turn de VFO knob to set the squelch from 0 (off) to 20.

Motorola Astro radios use C4FM in the non simulcast mode for digital voice modulation. I have heard some hams call this P-25, but it is not.

Our P-25 radios use CPQSK modulation, which is kind of a mix of FM and AM. Looks really weird on the modulation scope.

Ed, of Import Communications, has posted "Operating Notes". He specifically requests that the document not be reproduced or re-posted.

It is a very rough draft, but it does give a sense of how to operate the radio. I imagine it will eventually be superceded by an instruction manual.

I'm hoping the buttons on the remote head and microphone are backlit. With that and positive reviews, I'll probably pick one up.

That radio really looks nice, I would hope they have a choice of display colors like most of the Chinese HT's have. I would really like it in a blue, or green display I have never liked the amber, 3 of my mobiles have had the amber display and I think they don't look good but this is for me, and anyone who doesnt care for an amber display.

I also assume the A/B on the mic is so you can switch from one band to the other without having to press any band buttons on the face of the rig while you're driving. And backlit buttons would be great.

Price is still up in the air however , I haven't seen anything on the price as yet for us in the States....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.