• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New CB Band, VHF MURs

Jay in the Mojave

Apr 6, 2005
Mojave Desert
Hello All:

The FCC has given 5 VHF FM frequencies to a "NO License" MURs Radio Service, for local line of sight use.

The frequencies are:

These MURs Radio Service is a low power service, 2 watts. But the locals in the San Fernando Valley, near Los Angles, are using outside base station antennas, and routinly make contact with stations 25 or more miles in distance.

Jay in the Mojave

</p>

Yep, there is also a UHF "CB", it is called FRS, ,short for Family Radio Service. Small FM Radios, most handhelds, that are limited on power and antenna construction that is good for about 1.5 miles on flat terrain. If you have the advantage of elevation(up on a hill top) this range can be much more, these radios work line of sight real well. They work in the 462/467 Mhz range:

Channel 1: 462.5625mhz

Channel 2: 462.5875mhz

Channel 3: 462.6125mhz

Channel 4: 462.6375mhz

Channel 5: 462.6625mhz

Channel 6: 462.6875mhz

Channel 7: 462.7125mhz

Channel 8: 467.5625mhz

Channel 9: 467.5875mhz

Channel 10: 467.6125mhz

Channel 11: 467.6375mhz

Channel 12: 467.6625mhz

Channel 13: 467.6875mhz

Channel 14: 467.7125mhz

more info can be found here:

FRS info

And The GMRS band is also sharing some channels( the two services overlap in frequency range) with the FRS radios, alto the FRS radios are limited by lower power output and not as much FM deviation(less audio power) than the GMRS Radios. GMRS requires a lic, FRS doesn't, but it is ok(per the FCC) for GMRS and FRS users to communicate with each other.

Neat little radios for short range use, like keeping track of a family group at a theme park, or similar uses.

Jeff

CDX 339

RadioActive

20031128_1300_eit_171.gif

YAESU_150w.jpg
</p>

Either way its not a new CB Freq. its just a radio you can buy without a lic. .......... CB will allways be 11 meter maybe one day they will give up and widen it to those unused Freq. that a bunch of people use anyway...

or atleast drop that outdated neadrithal morse code requirement.

</p>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub86.ezboard.com/bworldwidecbradioclub.showUserPublicProfile?gid=flnative>FL Native</A> at: 12/6/03 10:54 pm

"To determine if a particular radio is permissible to use as a MURS station, you will need to verify

that it is certificated specifically and exclusively for MURS use under the new FCC Rules;

or

that it is currently certificated (type-approved) for Part 90 operation, and was certificated for this use prior to November 12, 2002"

and of couse, there is more. However, I'm pretty sure the 706 does not fall into the above category.

_____

Buttfuzz in the Mobile</p>

Hello North Star:

We had some locals on murs but they went away??!??!!

I do hear a once and a while trucker or two, and some of the guys in the Los Angles area talking, but there are weak.

There is a local apartment complex that talks all day about building maintenance, but thats pretty borring.

I have used a hand held HT's on 2 meters while hunting, and they worked much better than the GRMS crappy hand helds. Had the Ht's on extra low power, to save the batteries and talked all over.

Jay in the Mojave

Cool. I would recommend the Icom GMRS F21GM 15 channels 4 watts. $159 range very nice GMRS Handheld.
Something you cannot buy at walmart as well.

I wanna say that there should be a repeater for the emrgency chanel near you. They have them here and they go off every hour. Best way to determine if there is one is to listen for it or people talking on it. Good Luck!!

I wanna say that there should be a repeater for the emrgency chanel near you. They have them here and they go off every hour. Best way to determine if there is one is to listen for it or people talking on it. Good Luck!!

there is a Jail by me who uses MURS exclucivly..
whenever i try to use it they start yelling..
i tell them to jump in a river..
i am told i am being recorded..
yet they are the screw ups lol

i dont spend much time on murs..
but murs works quite well..

so heck with GMRS

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.