• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New CB Band, VHF MURs

Hello Cheech:

Thats funney!

We had a forest fire, a few years ago, on the hills near us here in the Mojave Desert.

The visting fire fighters from Northern California came up on the locally used Murs frequency.

We all took a "stand by" as they surly had emergency traffic that had priority over the local chit chat. And the musical appreciation transmissions, over each other!

After a few days of listening in to the visting fire fighters on the MURs channel, one of the locals called to them and asked for the status of the fire, identifying himself as the "Big Bob" MURs radio operator extortioner.

The Fire Captain answered, and asked why we where on his channel. Big Bob replied nicely saying that the channel was a public MURs channel, and that we all stood by as they had emergency traffic.

Big Bob had quit a lengtly talk with the Fire Captain. The Captain explaned that they program the hand held radios on the spot, or use a set of frequencies for their local fire managenment use. Channels that are not being used, they go to. This says something for all the different Fire Frequencies being not to well coordinated. Pity!

Big Bob had brought the Fire Fighters several Pizza's and cold drinks. After the fire was out and the fire crew could take a break.

I hear some stations from the Los Angles area, and a few truckers, on my scanner on the MURs channels. Not real busy.

Jay in the Mojave

Cheech said:
Ahh man I would be messing with them but thats just me :twisted: We have a prisoner loose all units respond hehe. Jail brake jail brake :shock:

Do you hear the guys kicked off 435 on MURS? :) Oh, and did the firefighters enjoy Mr. Powdered Donut all over the face Guy ??? :) :)

Hey Jay...

i seem to remember you originally asked for a good radio to use for MURS...

i find my Icom T-90A works very very well while using the Diamond dual band antenna (the rubber duck it came with sucked lol ) and i use the external hand mike..

i easily have spoken 8 to 10 miles to other handheld as well as base station..

i think if people were smart and or realised how well MURS works
many would switch from useless GMRS (except those using repeaters on GMRS) to the MURS...

for MURS works as well as 2 meter simplex

both my Icom T-90A and 706 MKIIG work really great when hooked up to my dual bander Comet GP-9 on roof that is 52 feet to base..

Jay..

like anything else..
it is how much you are willing to spend...
how much room you have for antennas (portible and base)

Later

Good lord I had this scary thought that all the companys that make those useless litle gmrs radios are going to start making murs radios :shock: They already made gmrs a usless thing! I dont think they will take over but Im saying that a couple of years ago I had just heard of gmrs and no one made radios with the gmrs chanels. Now you can walk in to any store almost and buy some cheap poorly constructed gmrs radio and I have never once heard any licenced operators on those things. Thank God they dont transmit for crap! Next thing it will be murs :?

Cheech said:
Good lord I had this scary thought that all the companys that make those useless litle gmrs radios are going to start making murs radios :shock: They already made gmrs a usless thing! I dont think they will take over but Im saying that a couple of years ago I had just heard of gmrs and no one made radios with the gmrs chanels. Now you can walk in to any store almost and buy some cheap poorly constructed gmrs radio and I have never once heard any licenced operators on those things. Thank God they dont transmit for crap! Next thing it will be murs :?

same thing up here-- you guys had it out for awhile down in the US but i n Canada we could'nt get a gmrs radio--- now Walmart has stacks of them
I think the DOC and FCC are trying to keep frs and gmrs from going the way of CB by making it illegal to use external antennas-- I'd never imagine there being frequencies for JUST handheld use-- which is pretty close to what frs and gmrs is--
Anyhow I think I rambled on off topic a bit

Yeah there are repaters set up for gmrs as well. Its not a used band though besides by the people with the cheapo hand held and react. I like the idea of murs though. I think they should increase the power but they probly never will.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.