• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Cobra 29LX now what

tankthebiker

Feb 12, 2014
Hey everyone. I just ordered a new Cobra 29LX and am looking for simple do it yourself mods and what parts will need to be replaced for higher quality. Caps? Schottky diodes? Just a tuneup and alignment? Let me know your thoughts good and bad. I am doing a permanent install in a Toyota Tundra and want a factory look.

I work in a shop that has resources of 5 electrical engineers. I am looking at an swr and power meter as we speak

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Electrical or electronic? The best thing to do with that radio is simply go thru and peak the tx/rx and put it on frequency. They are usually pretty close out of the box, but not always. You'll need a volt meter, oscilloscope, af generator, rf generator and a frequency counter to go with the power meter you're fixing to buy.

Reactions: mattposter
I have both at my disposal. I am mostly looking to put it on frequency as well as put some parts in to eliminate electrical noise and static.

I have both at my disposal. I am mostly looking to put it on frequency as well as put some parts in to eliminate electrical noise and static.

What parts? Did Cobra leave some out? Send it back and get another one.

receive mod if this is what you are talking about is D4, D24 putting in 1n6263 diodes to quiet the receive some. then readjust the receive to specs.

Last edited:
Yes. That is what I have been looking at. Anyone have any real world info after this mod? Does it really work?

receive mod if this is what you are talking about is D4, D24 putting in 1n6263 diodes to quiet the receive some. then readjust the receive to specs.

Yes. That is what I have been looking at. Anyone have any real world info after this mod? Does it really work?

Some say yes, some say no, that to me means that it's not clear cut to me. But it's a 40 channel am radio ..... nb/anl, rf gain, squelch and volume work just fine.

If you were into low power, long distance ssb dx on a good ssb radio, than I'd say any advantage in lowering the noise floor might me worth the effort. But not on a Cobra 29 IMO.

Ok. I may just stick with alignment and tuneup and not waste my time for such little effort.

Run an RF Limited filter cord. If the noise is riding in through the antenna you will have to filter it at the source. As an example some Ford trucks need a noise filter added at the fuel pump.

I have a hand built choke made for 50amp draw that is run directly off of battery.

Run an RF Limited filter cord. If the noise is riding in through the antenna you will have to filter it at the source. As an example some Ford trucks need a noise filter added at the fuel pump.

Ok then at this point your cb set up probably being all it can be. What ever electrical noise and static is left you will just have to deal with.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.