• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Grant 2 Premium

I have been seeing an updated Grant 2 Premium. Has a new filter and heat sink on the back. Appears President is still making both.

Nice that it puts out more than the original. First version wasa nice radio, just had no balls for output.Still not much bang for the buck for output.

Nice that it puts out more than the original. First version wasa nice radio, just had no balls for output.Still not much bang for the buck for output.

The amount extra it puts out is worthless. It makes no difference if you crank it up to the RX station and the only things you'll achieve are a dirty wide signal and finals that die prematurely. To gain one single S point you need to quadruple the output power. You're not doing that with a screwdriver in a CB twiddling stuff.

any one bothered to measure the slope(aka shape factor) of the "new filter" cfw455ht murata that is used in the grant II "premium ?

page 35 for specs from muratas site
https://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwjMyK6Yh_vJAhXkIqYKHYiYCQwQFggnMAM&url=http://www.murata.com/~/media/webrenewal/support/library/catalog/products/filter/cerafil/p11e.ashx?la=en&usg=AFQjCNGjsv9S9XaKci98UXwUbgbNfJNIYA&sig2=FZsY2uyVW_RfH8lqQOfLCg&cad=rja

pic of the one in the first model grant II

SANY3083.JPG

the one in the premium model supposedly a murata

prem ht.jpg

a real murata as i know them from a AR-3500 (cfw455ht)
SANY3091.JPG

pdf attached

also note for the unknowing this is a filter thats only active in am and fm modes

Attachments

• p05e9.pdf
    868.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
The amount extra it puts out is worthless. It makes no difference if you crank it up to the RX station and the only things you'll achieve are a dirty wide signal and finals that die prematurely. To gain one single S point you need to quadruple the output power. You're not doing that with a screwdriver in a CB twiddling stuff.

agreed ..want more power buy a amp the final in the grant II is under driven to keep imd down as the radio is "intended" as a legal cb radio in europe ..LOL

Reactions: tecnicoloco

I was pointing out that the original radio was overpriced for the features and output, especially compared to the Lincoln II or Maxlog or basically any of the other radios that can do 40-50watts which is 4 times the output of the original Grant II and does make a difference.

I agree no point to screwdriver a radio for a couple of watts - I don't do it myself and don't encourage other to either.

Even the higher power of the Grant II premium isn't impressive and it still isn't worth the $$. Better off to get a Optima, Lincoln II, or even a 2950DX.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.