• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham Here

I would love to, but still waiting for the snow to melt so I can get an antenna in the air. Plus, working till 230am CST.

I may give it a shot late tonight and see if I hear anything.

Congrats on getting your ticket!

As long as you're in study mode, go for your General...

This way if you do pickup a nice HF rig like the IC-7000, you can at least operate on nearly all of the radio and not be so limited with just a tech license. All the good DX and most of the action is on 17 and 20 meters during the day, and 40 meters at night. Propagation has been fair to poor above 15 meters.

222DBFL
STop making excuses, ( only 40 yrs old you have time?? What you want to wait until you so old you can not climb a tower ??)

Get off your back side and study, will not take you long, you know most of it anyway, just need to study rules and operating procedures

Then you can use the Full potential of your ham rigs.( Like local rag chews on 40 meters Hint hint, we are close enough to rag chew with 100 watts and an NVIS wire)

enough pushing just get er done

Reactions: Tallman and 222DBFL
Congrats on getting your ticket, the rci 2950will work fine if not mis aligned.

Throw up a simple dipole inverted V hanging from a tree an start making contacts.
Most of all HAVE FUN(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Reactions: Hurricane95
Thanks all!! Wow, another Hurricane!! How cool is that?!!

I actually have a dipole here that I made from Copper tubing, as soon as I can get some coax and figure where to push through the wall, I will have that hung outdoors along the peak of my roof in an inverted V. Just waiting for the last of the snow to melt off.

I guess I may as well order a tripod and a beam for my 2 meter set up too, and get them all in the air at the same time.

Any recommendations on a good 2 meter or 2/440 combo beams? Primary interest is SSB.

2/440 are mostly used for analog FM and digital FM repeater stuff in my metro area. Increasingly, Yaesu Fusion (C4FM) on the digital side of things.

I keep getting bugged to get my ticket as I know quite a few amateur radio op's, but I am happy where I am for now anyway. One day I'll get it!! My ticket that is!

I was just like you, and in my late 40's... playing on 11 meters and the freeband, and finally made up my mind to study and get my ticket. I got Tech, then General about a year later. Getting General opens up your playground a lot! No more sitting around wishing you had conditions... there's always a band that is working to some extent. Buy your books, study, and get your ticket. I promise, you won't regret it!

Brett

Reactions: 543_Dallas
The old 2950 you have if not all peaked and tweaked out, should work on 10m just fine. As long as the antenna is setup for 10m, and radio works correctly, you should be just fine. Just keep the roger beep off and have at it! There is an article where this exact question is answered and as long as the radio is stock and not butchered up, use it. Here is the actual readings from the page.

By FCC rules, you, as a licensed ham radio operator, are allowed to use most any type of radio transmitter under your license class restrictions as long as it meets the rules and regulations of Part 97 which you fall under.

One excellent source of brand new 10/12 meter ham radio transceivers that are perfectly legal on the ham bands, (within your license class) are the Ranger series RCI-2950DX and the RCI-2970DX models which get good reviews and are very popular. They can be purchased online for HUNDREDS of dollars less than the multiband, multimode, full blown hf radios costing an arm and a leg. You can even get them with up to 150 watts of power!

I took this and copied and pasted it here, but the source of the article is from hamradiouniverse.com.
Hope this answers your question. Have fun!!
even when stock brand new out-of-the-box are those RCI / conex/galexcy rig's real 10 meter transceivers or is the real reason their produced is to be modified (easily) for 11 meter use?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.