• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham, Need Help

Hey WD: GM Did you order anything yet?... Got your CALL:love::LOL:
Sorry have not gotten back in on the antenna or anything just yet...But have a couple of ideas...
Just work load presently...it's football season!:mad:;)
Hope all is well 73
All the Best
Gary W9FNB

Hey WD: GM Did you order anything yet?... Got your CALL:love::LOL:
Sorry have not gotten back in on the antenna or anything just yet...But have a couple of ideas...
Just work load presently...it's football season!:mad:;)
Hope all is well 73
All the Best
Gary W9FNB

No call yet;( Not even a record of my application. Just a little white paper that says I passed haha. No worries on the antenna! Have been doing some reading and research and I'm being patient about the whole thing, so no problem:) Some of the guys here showed me the Ventenna haha which could be a neat option for getting on the air quickly with a different rig.

Update: looking at the kenwood tm-v71A with a ventenna set up. Seems like that could be the trick to get me on the air quickly, this radio also seems to be equipped with a function to use echo link when using a computer in conjunction. Cool feature for me because I have an older family member who uses echolink exclusively in a different area of the country. I assume I still need all the key equipment mentioned so far, but now that I'm going dual band is there anything else I should pick up while I'm making an order?

Echo link may be my key for now, but I'm hoping to get something for HF in some time when I can situate antenna space. So I think that's just on the back burner for the moment. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you!

Update: looking at the kenwood tm-v71A with a ventenna set up. Seems like that could be the trick to get me on the air quickly, this radio also seems to be equipped with a function to use echo link when using a computer in conjunction. Cool feature for me because I have an older family member who uses echolink exclusively in a different area of the country. I assume I still need all the key equipment mentioned so far, but now that I'm going dual band is there anything else I should pick up while I'm making an order?

Echo link may be my key for now, but I'm hoping to get something for HF in some time when I can situate antenna space. So I think that's just on the back burner for the moment. Let me know what you guys think! Thank you!

I have a TM-V71A. Really a nice rig! The Yaesu FT-8800 is a good one as well. Maybe a little pricey for your total budget, though. If you don't need to monitor two bands at once, or need cross band repeat, the FT-7800 is a good way to go and save some money. Again, if you.have a repeater that is close to you, an inexpensive Baofeng/Pofung UV-82 is a neat little HT, and will get you on the air for about 30 bucks. Nowhere near the receiver quality of the Yaesu/Kenwood rigs listed, but a heck of a lot of fun anyway!

Brett

Reactions: DainBramage
Hey Guys...Brett (y)
I think this could work! Looking at the height of those trees...maybe dam GOOD:LOL:
Thinking though the 40m-6m version (66") would fit nicely...not sure at distance there maybe even the 80m-6m version(130')
With those trees and a fishing pole launcher and some parachute cord...
Can you hear me NOW:D
What do you think guys? I think the young Jedi could pull this off(y)
All the Best
Gary
WD antenna path.jpg

Reactions: 2RT307

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.