• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ham, Need Help

add a GOOD soldering gun/pencil, Rosin core solder,... not acid core
a VOM,
elect tape and/or liquid elect tape,
desk/bench with a good light for operating, logging, ect.
elect outlets near equipment.

YMMV

I assume you are going to use coax (and not ladderline) ,... how are you going to get it from the radio (through a wall/window/?) to the antenna?

lot of details are involved in first time setting up a station.

Last edited:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=how+to+build+a+dipole+antenna

Hey WD: I was searching around and found these....if your like me, Pictures give me much better idea of how to do things in a practical sense...and these seem very good for a beginner...(been there done that!)
Even though I have had my license since 1979, I am STILL learning!:LOL:
I can still remember being pretty Green(not really knowing squat!:rolleyes:) when I first got my ticket. So don't get overwhelmed by all the info.
A few antenna projects and a little time listening and operating,and you'll be an old pro:D
The first video is a quick overview of the assembly of a dipole. They certainly DO NOT need to be made exactly like the video, however it's a good explanation as to where you want to end up.
The second video is a little longer and covers some good info on the why antennas work the way they do, then shows how to get there. This Ham does a good job of keeping it Simple! When in reallity it really is, just takes a little practice and time to get to know the process.
Just some visual aids, to help you understand that though things seem a little over the top right now it's not really as difficult as your brain is telling you.;)
Again never feel bad about asking questions, we ALL had to start somewhere(y)
All the Best
Gary

Hi all! As always thank you very much for the replies you've all be very helpful. I am thinking the 450 is sounding about right. At first glance the antenna projects seem pretty intense, but I suppose with some patience and hands on time it will soften up! I hope it wouldn't be too much to ask which key accessories/compliments would be needed for this rig to operate. If I am need to clarify anything so far just let me know please, I may not have the best handle on everything yet!

Hey WD: That's cool...I think it's a good choice and it will serve you well for many years.
Now as to extras
Wattmeter/SWR bridge: The 450 has one built-in, but like most of us I prefer an external one between my radio and antenna.
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=8100&products_id=38651

You will need one of these below between the meter and radio. Then your antenna will connect to the other port on the wattmeter

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=61385

Power supply to run radio:
The FT-450 has an operating voltage of 12-14 volts DC
(Just like your car). So with this for house operation you need to convert 120 volt AC(your USA outlet voltage) to 12-14 volt DC.
Examples:
http://www.12voltpowersupplies.us/
This company is a sponsor and member of this website...
The SS-350-12 is a good basic supply and VERY reasonably priced...it has enough power to supply the FT-450.
I think you find many good reviews right here on this site.

These are other examples:
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9110&products_id=50193

http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=9110&products_id=30686
Again I like meters!:rolleyes:

COAX: To go from station location to antenna...this is good for all HF bands 10 meters and below and can be purchased without connectors in various lengths or with connectors attached once you figure how far from radio to antenna that distance is needed.
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=11020&products_id=19423

This type is good for HF.and VHF antennas...little more expensive, however covers greater frequency range with less signal loss.
Again can be purchased in bulk lengths without connectors or with connectors already installed.
http://www.randl.com/shop/catalog/index.php?cPath=11110

Now WD: You'll notice most of my Links go to same place.
R & L electronics...This is certainly NOT the only vendor to get these products!
However I have dealt with them for many years and Roger (owners Son)and their staff are good people, and normally very competitive on their pricing and customer service!
Here are links to other good vendors:
https://www.dxengineering.com/?gclid=CJP0itSzsLsCFQISMwodnDoAFA

GREAT source for antenna parts is DX...some of my antennas are built using their fine products!

https://www.dxengineering.com/searc...4294953299&sortby=Default&sortorder=Ascending

http://www.hamradio.com/
These both have good products and good reviews from customers

OK did I overload you again...Sorry just trying to get you going the right direction
Young Jedi:LOL:
All the Best
Gary

Hey everyone! Hope all is well on your end. I cannot thank everyone enough for being so helpful with all of this. I am definitely on the right track and in good care with you all! Just got off the blower with the landlord, and he said he doesn't care what I do as far as mounting something up on the roof. So with that option available, my antenna options should open up much more I'm hoping. I think I found a great spot in my house to set up the rig! It is a well-lit countertop designed for sitting at, it has electrical outlets nearby and would have its own area set aside. What I'm hoping makes this an even better spot is that when I went outside to look around for a spot, I noticed that the roof peaks to its highest point right above the area I want to put my station. There is an old cable line outlet coming into my house right where the station will be, and it is directly below the peak, so in theory if I mounted it up there and ran a few feet of cable down the side of the building into that outlet, it would be right there.

What's also nice is the portion of the building this is all taking place in is above my apartment only, basically as far away from neighbors as one could be in the same building.
I'm on the hunt now for the supplies you have so kindly recommended. Hopefully will be able to place a big order this evening. Where I'm at now is trying to find what type of antenna would work best for me now. I could take pictures to better describe this setup if needed.
As always thanks everyone. My general exam study book shipped today so I'm excited to get started into it. BTW- I'm learning a lot from the chat function on this website! haha!

Reactions: 2RT307
Yes Pictures...so we can generate more work for you!:ROFLMAO:
Back yard/along side aprt./top edge of roof line... etc...etc...
All the Best(y)
Gary
OH yes tell us your location....Did you get your callsign yet?
Inquiring minds what to know!:D

OH no guys....he found the chat window:eek:...
This young Jedi will be ruined and as loopy as us :love::p

Reactions: 222DBFL and tba02
I will be sure to take some pictures first thing tomorrow morning. I'm in PA, no call sign yet unfortunately:/ I was really hoping to get it before the week ended but nothing, so hopefully next week. Very excited. And yes I've found the chat function hahaha, I'm glad I watched Contact yesterday to brush up on my Jodie Foster.

Reactions: 2RT307 and tba02
I'm your only Hope!
images

You will enjoy the FT450. A gent has one about 60 miles from me and it does sound pretty good on air! I don't think he is using any special mic or anything. Just setup right. Sounds very nice to listen to. Anyhow. You have a lot of work and some great pointers to lead you in the right direction. Don't forget about a good ground system for your entire setup. Tower and equipment as well. Read up on commercial towers are grounded and you will have a good understanding of what you need for that. Surge arrestor, ground rods, #6AWG THHN wire, or larger. At least 3 or more ground rods. That is JMHO. A single point ground system is what you want. Research this as well as it's important. Enjoy your new toys and just have fun!!! That is what the hobby is all about. Making friends without ever really meeting. Like I said, enjoy yourself! As long as you have at least the General, you have a lot of bands to work with!! It does open things up for sure. Again, gave fun and be safe man!
73 and God Bless.

Good morning Vietnam! Lol I know, my puns suck already. Took some pics at first light! They are in the post above this one. Bonus points for anyone who can spot my cat in the photos haha. Anyway that's where I'm at, in the photos you can see a set of windows, the one directly below the peak (furthest right) is right next to where I plan on putting the station. As I said there is an outlet in the wall from old cable line that isn't in use anymore. I figure worst case scenario I'll run it through the window! Family is cool about this sort of stuff so hopefully no problems doing that. My latest question, for $1,000,000, what do you think the best antenna setup would be considering these pictures and my abilities.
By the way a few of the pictures are of that metal pole standing out near my house. Here you guys can kind of get an idea of what I was talking about before. As always, thank you so much for the support, I really appreciate it!

As everyone can see not much room other than the roof and that side area shown. In front of the Windows is concrete and a trafficked area because the neighbors are in and out sometimes. It seems I don't have room for a large tower on the ground or anything, but the roof seems promising.

WD, the videos from Dave Tadlock are good I have watched a lot of them. On you antenna a dipole is a good place to start. The most reliable bands right now are 80-40 and 20 meters. 80 m dipole is around 130'. You probably want to hang it north - south that will get you east - west reception (west coast and Europe) if you can get it flat. Right now you can't talk on any of those bands, a good practice Dipole would be 10m and daily small a band you can talk on if anyone is there lol. Remember trees can be your friend for hanging wire antennas. The EFHW-8010 antenna I posted a while back is still a easy to get in the air and covers all the bands 80-10, very stealth but 130' long. It may not be the best antenna you can put up but i have had really good luck with mine and have talked all over the world with it. BF also just built a antenna out of ladder line that seems to working well, he will help with it if you want to build it.

Thanks for your reply firerunner:) I'm not sure I have 130' of runway here haha. I am seeing now the complexities of not having a yard/your own lot to build on. If only I had more space. Now I'm off to watch the video BJ so kindly posted.
PS- hit the local flea market today but low turn out so not much there, the past few weeks when I have had the day off I've been looking for any radio equipment I can find but no dice:/

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.